Kercem Ajax Stadium


Sannat Lions take sole leadership


Sannat L        :           5          (N. Micallef 34’, A. Adesina 44’, S. Baala 48’, 52’, 71’)


  1. Brignoli, J. Agius, F. Xuereb, D.U. Monday, O. Xuereb, E. Gauci (D. Borg), K. Bonnici (D. Curmi), M. Muscat, N. Micallef, A. Adesina, S. Baala (J. Zammit).


Zebbug R       :           3          (M. Formosa 3’, J.C. Viera Peixoto 29’, E. Nkwocha 53’)


  1. Saliba, P. Cardona, G. Portelli, P. Camilleri, M. Formosa, M. Cordina, J. Debrincat (C. Borg), J.C. Viera Peixoto, P. Falzon, O. Calleja (A. Tabone), E. Nkwocha.


Sannat Lions tuned a defeat into a 5-3 win in their match against Zebbug Rovers and with the points obtained they took command of the standings.  The match was well contested for most of the time as the two sides needed the three points.  Sannat had the ambition to remain among the contenders for promotion while Zebbug were aiming to win this direct clash and reopen their chances to join the challengers for promotion.  Zebbug had an excellent start and took a two-goal lead in the first half hour of play but Sannat had a good reaction and levelled the score before the end of the first half.  Sannat turned the result in their favour with gaols scored during the first minutes of the second period and administered play with authority for the rest of the encounter.


Zebbug opened the score in the third minute of play through a shot from long distance by Matthion Formosa that surprised goalie Angelo Brignoli.  One minute later the Rovers were again dangerous but a header by Manwel Cordina following a corner action ended just high.  Sannat’s reaction was sterile and on 20 minutes Zebbug’s debutant Juan Carlos Viera Peixoto had a good shot that was neutralised by goalie Angelo Brignoli.  Five minutes later an effort by Manwel Cordina ended on the roof of Sannat’s goal and four minutes later Zebbug’s Juan Carlos Viera Peixoto doubled the score when his strike from the edge of the area got a deflection from a defender and ended in goal.  Sannat were not demoralised and reduced the deficit on 34 minutes through a shot from outside the area by Nicholas Micallef, which also got a deflection from a defender, and ended out of the reach of Zebbug’s goalie.  Sannat increased their efforts and one minute later a shot by Kenneth Bonnici was saved to a corner by goalie Baskal Saliba and on 39 minutes Sannat’s Justin Agius had a shot following a corner action that ended over Zebbug’s goal.  Sannat scored the equaliser on 44 minutes when two consecutive attempts by Sunday Baala following a confused action in Zebbug’s area were cleared off the fatal line by Zebbug’s defence and from the resultant melee Ajibade Adesina pushed the ball into an open goal.


Sannat continued to dictate matters after the restart and thirty seconds from the kick-off of the second period Ajibade Adesina had a shot on the run after receiving from Kenneth Bonnici that missed then target.  Sannat turned the result in their favour on 48 minutes through a header by Sunday Baala following a cross by Kenneth Bonnici.  Zebbug were shocked and on 52 minutes Sannat increased their lead when Sunday Baala won the ball in the midfield, entered Zebbug’s area with a personal action and placed into an open goal after turning around the goalkeeper.  Zebbug managed to reopen their chances to recover the score one minute later with a goal scored by Ejofor Nkwocha following a personal action.  Zebbug tried to increase their efforts in an attempt to level the score but Sannat defended well and continued to produce the better scoring opportunities.  On 61 minutes Sannat’s Sunday Baala and Kenneth Bonnici failed to conclude in goal when they were face to face with Zebbug’s keeper so that the defence managed to clear the danger to a corner.  On 71 minutes Sannat regained the two-goal lead through a low shot by Sunday Baala after receiving from Ajibade Adesina.  Minutes later the same Sunday Baala won the ball from Zebbug’s defence but his attempt was blocked to a corner.  Sannat could have scored more goals before the end of the match.  On 83 minutes a shot by Nicholas Micallef was partially saved by goalie Baskal but from the rebound substitute Daniel Borg incredibly concluded wide with an open goal at his mercy.  The same Borg was denied from scoring with another fine intervention by Zebbug’s goalie Baskal Saliba on 88 minutes as the striker had his close ranged shot that was turned to a corner and the score remained unchanged until the final whistle.


Referee: Dorian Caruana