GFA Division II K/O s-final                                                                          Sannat Ground

Zebbug R       :           2          (I. Igwemeke 1’, 41’)


  1. Cassar, P. Cardona, G. Portelli, P. Camilleri, M. Formosa (J. Debrincat), C. Borg, O. Calleja, A. Tabone, C. Vella, I. Igwemeke, E. Nkwocha.


Munxar F        :           3          (J. Parnis 17’, 101’; G. Muscat 66’)


  1. Xuereb, G. Muscat, J. Hili, R. Meilak, F. Cini, O. Curmi (F. Azzopardi), A. Sacco (M. Debrincat), P. Parnis, M. Matthias Uzor, J. Parnis, E. Xuereb (J. Azzopardi).


Munxar Falcons reached the final of the Knock Out competition by obtaining a deserved 3-2 win over Zebbug Rovers in the second semi-final match of the competition.  Munxar, who are occupying the bottom place of the table in the second division campaign were rewarded for their efforts as they recovered the score in two occasions and score the goal that decided the qualification during extra time.  Zebbug disappointed in this match as they failed to capitalise from the fact that they had the qualification in their favour for most of the time but conceded Munxar’s reaction and lost the possibility to challenge for a trophy despite their inconsient performacnes during the matches of the campaign.


The Rovers could not have had a better start as they opened the score after just 35 seconds of play when Omar Calleja produced a good move from the right flank and from his cross Ikechukwu Igwemeke headed in goal with the ball hitting the crossbar before it crossed the fatal line.  Munxar had a good reaction and on 7 minutes they could have levelled the score but Ryna Meilak incredibly concluded high from close distance with an open goal at his mercy.  On 15 minute Zebbug went close to scoring by Chris Borg had his attempt turned to a corner with difficulty by Munxar’s goalie Lorjean Xuereb.  Two minutes later Munxar levelled the score through a shot by Jordi Parnis following a personal action.  On 26 minutes Zebbug were again dangerous but Chris Borg concluded over the crossbar following a free kick by Matthion Formosa.  One minute later Qala replied through a shot by Oliver Curmi that was neutralised by goalie Christian Cassar and on 41 minutes Zebbug regained the lead through a low shot by Ikechukwu Igwemeke following an inviting low pass by Omar Calleja.  The Rovers went also close to increase their lead in the first minute of stoppage time before half time but a shot by Chrios Botrg following a personal action within Munxar’s area was saved to a corner by goalie Lorjean Xuereb.


Munxar produced a determined reaction during the second period and on 65 minutes la free kick by Michael Mattias Uzor was deflected to a corner by the defence but one minute later they levelled the score through a header by Gabriel Muscat following a cross by Francesco Cini.  Zebbug suffered Munxar’s play and on 80 minutes they also ended with a player less on the field when Chris Borg was sent off for a second caution.  Zebbug however defended well and the score remained unchanged until the end of regular time so that the qualification had to be decided in extra time.


In the first minute of play of the first period of extra time Munxar were also reduced to ten players as Juan Hili was sent off for a second bookable offence.  Munxar suffered another setback on 95 minutes when Francesco Cini was also sent off for a second yellow card shown for committing a foul in the midfield.  Munxar however were not demoralised and were dangerous on 98 minutes through a free kick by Michael Mattias Uzor that ended just high.  Munxar scored the goal that at the end decided the issue on 101 minutes through a fine strike by Jordi Parnis following a personal action.  During the remaining minutes Zebbug tried to recover the score but Munxar defended well and kept the lead until the end of extra time.


Referee: George Portelli