GFA BOV GFL Division I                                                                             Gozo Stadium


Xaghra U                    :           1          (A. Laskov pen. 90+2’)


  1. Galea, J. Buhagiar (M. Portelli), S. Sultana, D. Sowatey, J. Xerri (A. Xibberas), G. Tushe, S. Sultana, M. Bezzina (G. Farrugia), A. Laskov, V.J. Saliba, F. Kosova.


SK Victoria W :           3          (I. Grkajac 22’, M. Raskovic 68’pen, P. Dordevic 71’)


  1. Towns, C. Sciortino (J. Meilak), A. Attard, M. Azzopardi, S.F. Bajada, P. Dordevic, N. Vella (J. Refalo), D. Mercieca, I. Grkajac, J. Attard (A. Touarha), M. Raskovic.


SK Victoria Wanderers registered the double over bottom placed Xaghra United and with the points obtained they opened an eight point lead over the same Xaghra on the table.  This match was a direct clash between the two teams who are occupying the last two places on the table.  Xaghra were aiming to register their first win and to reduce their gap from the Wanderers to two points and therefore they could have re-opened their chances to avoid relegation.  On the other hand the Wanderers needed the full points at stake to increase their lead over the same Xaghra and keep the other teams in the mid-table positions within reach.  The match turned out into a well contested encounter but the Wanderers prevailed through their experienced players and created more scoring opportunities, while Xaghra were weak in attack and they mainly created danger during the final stages of the encounter when they had two attempts on separate occasion that were stopped by the woodwork.


The Wanderers had a good scoring opportunity on the eighth minute but Predrag Dordevic had a low shot that ended inches wide.  Xaghra replied one minute later through an effort by Franci Kosova that missed the target and on ten minutes a free kick by Antonio Laskov ended away from Victoria’s goal.  On 12 minutes the Wanderers protested for a penalty when Igor Grkajac ended on the floor in the area following a challenge with an opponent.  On 17 minutes Victoria’s Igor Grkajac produced a cross from the right flank but two consecutive attempts by Milanko Raskovic were blocked by Xaghra’s keeper Daniel Galea.  The Wanderers opened the score on 22 minutes when Nicholas Vella unmarked Igor Grkajac entered the area and placed in goal with a low shot.  Xaghra replied with a free kick by Antonio Laskov two minutes later that was well blocked by goalie Matthew Towns while Victoria went close to scoring on 27 minutes through a strike by Milanko Raskovic that ended wide.  On 30 minutes the same Milanko Raskovic headed over the crossbar from close distance following a cross by Igor Grkajac.  Four minutes later Xaghra’s Antonio Lakov had a free kick that was partially saved by Victoria’s goalie Matthew towns and from the resultant action the same Laskov had his shot from outside the area that was deflected by the defence and the goalkeeper neutralised the danger.  On 35 minutes the Wanderers could have added another goal but Igor Grkajac’s shot ended away from goal.


Play during the opening stages of the second period took place mainly in the midfield but on 57 minutes Xaghra went very close to level the score but Daniel Sowatey’s attempt from a corner action ended just wide.  On 68 minutes Victoria Wanderers were awarded a penalty for a foul by Simon Sultana on Predrag Dordevic and Milanko Raskovic doubled the score with his shot from the spot kick.  The Wanderers also scored their third goal on 71 minutes through a header by Predrag Dordevic from a corner kick by Igor Grkajac.  Xaghra went very close to reduce the deficit on 76 minutes but a strike by Michael Bezzina was stopped by the crossbar.  Three minutes later Xaghra’s keeper Daniel Galea was well paced to save a shot by Johann Attard and five minutes later a shot by Franci Kosovo ended away from Victoria’s goal.  Xaghra kept insisting during the final stages and on 86 minutes a strike by Antonio Laskov was topped by the post.  The Wanderers replied two minutes later through a shot by Milanko Raskovic after receiving from Igor Grkajac that ended just high and in the first minute of stoppage time Xaghra’s substitute Gabriel Farrugia had an attempt that ended wide.  Xaghra scored their consolation goal one minute later when the referee awarded a penalty for a foul by Anthony Attard on Antonio Laskov and the latter converted from the spot kick.


Referee: Emanuel Grech