GFA BOV GFL Division I                                                                             Gozo Stadium

SK Victoria W :           1          (M. Raskovic 16’)


  1. Vella, D. Mercieca, J. Attard, M. Azzopardi, S. Draskovic, M. Raskovic, P. Dordevic, J. Refalo, C. Sciortino, I. Xuereb, I. Grkajac.


Kercem A                   :           1          (J.P. Mizzi 57’)


J.P. Cassar, L. Grima, P. Kyumyurdzhiev, M. Tabone, M. Mifsud, P. Taylor, J.P. Mizzi, O. Spiteri (J. Buttigieg), A. Mizzi, T. Grozev, G. Franca Amadio.

SK Victoria Wanderers and Kercem Ajax earned a point each from a draw of two goals in a balanced match where victory at the end could have gone either way.  In this match the Wanderers were aiming for a victory to reach Oratory Youths at the sixth place on the table and re-open their chances to move away from the play-off zone, while Kercem needed a positive result to retain their fourth place on the table.  As a result of the interest for the points expressed by the two sides had some good patches of play but neither of the two sides managed to prevail over the opponent.


The Wanderers seemed more offensive during the opening minutes.  In the first minute of play Victoria’s Ian Xuereb failed to take advantage of hesitation at Kercem’s rear guard and the defence recovered and cleared the danger.  Kercem replied one minute later through an effort by Gustavo Franca Amadio that ended wide.  On 10 minutes Victoria’s Predrag Dordevic had a shot that was blocked by the defence.  In another occasion on 15 minutes Milanko Raskovic had a header from a free kick by Igor Grkajac that was cleared off the fatal line by the defence and from the short clearance Predrag Dordevic’s attempt was deflected by the defence to a corner.  From the resultant corner kick by Igor Grkajac the Wanderers opened the score through a header by Milanko Raskovic.  On 24 minutes Victoria could have doubled the score but Predrag Dordevic’s low shot was blocked to a corner by goalie John Paul Cassar.  As time passed by Kercem increased their efforts and gained territorial supremacy.  On 25 minutes Victoria’s goalie Matthew Vella managed to save in two attempts a close ranged header by Trayo Grozev following a cross by Gustavo Franca Amadio.  The same goalkeeper was well paced two minutes later to save with some difficulty a cross shot by Gustavo Franca Amadio.  On 32 minutes Victoria’s rear guard failed to clear the ball from the area following a corner action but Petar Kyumyurdzhiev’s attempt ended on the side of the net.  On 37 minutes Kercem protested for a penalty when Gustavo Franca Amadio ended on the floor in the area following a personal action.  In the first minute of stoppage time before half time Victoria’s goalie Matthew Vella failed to hold a cross by Gustavo Franca Amadio and from the resultant corner action Kercem’s Andrew Mizzi failed to conclude form close distance and the defence managed to clear the danger.


Kercem maintained their momentum after the break and on 57 minutes they also managed to level the score through a close ranged header by Jean Paul Mizzi following a free kick from long distance by Petar Kyumyurdzhiev.  Two minutes later Victoria’s goalie cleared badly another free kick by Petar Kyumyurdzhiev and Jean Paul Mizzi’s header hit the crossbar and from the rebound Andrew Mizzi lifted over the crossbar from close distance.  The Wanderers recovered from a difficult moment and during the final stages of the match they shared more play.  On 68 minutes a shot by Igor Grkajac was well saved by goalie John Paul Cassar.  On 71 minutes the Wanderers lost a good scoring opportunity but Predrag Dordevic concluded badly from close distance following a melee in front of Kercem’s goal from a corner action.  One minute alter Kercem’s Philip Taylor had a shot from the edge of the area that missed the target.  On 73 minutes Kercem’s Petar Kyumyurdzhiev headed wide following a free kick from long distance by Philip Taylor.  Kercem replied on 76 minutes through a good initiative by Gustavo Franca Amadio but Trayo Grozev failed to connect to an inviting cross.  Three minutes later Victoria went very close to regain the lead but a strike by Igor Grkajac following a solo action was stopped by the post with the goalkeeper beaten.  During the final stages the two sides could have scored the decisive goal.  On 85 minutes Kercem’s goalie John Paul Cassar turned to a corner a good effort by Igor Grkajac and from the resultant corner action Srdjan Draskovic concluded over the crossbar from close distance.  Kercem’s last scoring opportunity arrived one minute later but Trayo Grozev’s shot was saved by goalie Matthew Vella.


Referee: Matthew Degabriele