GFA BOV GFL Division II                                                                            Gozo Stadium

Munxar F        :           3          (O. Saliba 12’, M. Mattias Uzor 18’’, C. Gafa’ 86’ o.g.)


  1. Xuereb, G. Muscat, P. Parnis, M. Debrincat (R. Sammut), O. Saliba (J. Azzopardi), O. Curmi, F. Cini, R. Meilak, M. Mattias Uzor, J. Parnis, E. Xuereb (K. Mizzi).


Gharb R         :           3          (O. Farrugia 29’, A. Ofulue 30’pen., Ryan Meilak  90+3’o.g.)


  1. Mercieca, P.A. Attard, C. Gafa’, J. Azzopardi, M. Vella, Crs. Attard, D. Bellotti, R. Grech (J. Camenzuli), J. Muscat (J. Portelli), O. Farrugia, A. Ofulue.


In the first match from Match-Day 19 of the campaign, contenders for promotion Gharb Rangers were surprisingly held to a draw of six goals by Munxar Falcons.  This was the penultimate match of the campaign for the two sides and the Rangers were aiming to obtain the fourth win over Munxar in the league so that they would face their last match against the other challengers St Lawrence Spurs in the best possible situation.  Gharb were surprised by Munxar during the opening stages and although they had a good reaction they failed to turn the result in their favour.  Gharb almost compromised the positive result near the end of the encounter when they committed an own goal but managed to recover the score with a goal scored deep into stoppage time.  The final result is just as the two sides worked hard to reach their objective.  Munxar defended well for most of the time but were in the lead for a good patch of the first half and also during the dying moments of the encounter but ended up suffering from Gharb’s determination to recover the score.  With this result Gharb can win the title and promotion by winning the direct clash against St Lawrence in the last match of the campaign.


Gharb tried to take command of play from the very beginning and in the ninth minute of play they were dangerous through a strike by Ryan Grech that was well saved by goalie Lorjean Xuereb.  Two minutes later the same goalkeeper was well placed to neutralise a header by Christian Attard.  Munxar surprised their most quoted opponents on 12 minutes through a shot by Oliver Saliba from close distance after receiving from Mark Debrincat.  Gharb were shocked and on 18 minutes Munxar doubled the score when Elijah Xuereb unmarked Michael Mattias Uzor who fired in goal and out of the reach of goalie Nicholas Mercieca.  Gharb recovered from the difficult moment and on 28 minutes a close ranged header by Oliver Farrugia was well saved by goalie Lorjean Xuereb.  On 29 minutes Gharb managed to reduce the deficit through a header by Oliver Farrugia following a free kick by Ryan Grech.  Gharb increased their efforts and one minute later they were awarded a penalty for a foul by Ryan Meilak on Andrew Ofulue and the same striker levelled the score with his shot from the spot kick.  Three minutes later the Rangers could have turned the result in their favour but a header by Christian Attard was well saved by goalie Lorjean Xuereb.


Gharb tried to increase their pressure on Munxar’s defence after the break but Munxar continued to be well deployed at their defence and also operated dangerous baks so that the match became more exciting as time passed by.  Oon 47 minutes Munxar’s goalie Lorjean Xuereb was at the right place to save a shot by Oliver Farrugia.  Munxar replied one minute later through an overhead kick by Michael Mattias Uzor that ended wide and on 49 minutes Gharb’s Dylan Bellotti had a good shot that was neutralised by goalie Lorjean Xuereb.  On 56 minutes Gharb’s keeper Nicholas Mercieca made a good save following a free kick from long distance by Jordi Parnis and on 65 minutes Gharb lost a good scoring opportunity when Oliver Farrugia entered the area but his shot from a good position ended on the side of the net.  Six minutes later Gharb’s Dylan Bellotti had a shot that ended over the crossbar and on 74 minutes Munxar were unlucky as Oliver Curmi had an attempt form long distance that was stopped by the crossbar.  Gharb went again close to scoring on 79 minutes but Andrew Ofulue headed wide following a cross by substitute Josef Portelli.  On 86 minutes Munxar regained the lead when Gharb’s defender Chris Gafa’ hit badly in an attempt to clear the ball from the area following a cross from the left flank by Michael Mattias Uzor and the ball ended in his own net.  Gharb were not demoralised and during the final minutes they pulled all their efforts in an attempt to save the result.  Gharb’s efforts were rewarded in the third minute of stoppage time when they managed to level the score through an own goal by Ryan Meilak who pushed the ball in his own net in an attempt to clear the ball before Oliver Farrugia could meet an inviting low cross by Paul Anthony Attard.


Referee: Jules Ngangue