GFA BOV GFL Division I/II Play-off
Gozo Stadium


SK Victoria W : 3 (I. Grkajac 16’, M. Raskovic 37’, P. Dordevic 76’pen.)

M. Vella, D. Mercieca, J. Attard (A.G. Attard), C. Sciortino, M. Azzopardi, P. Dordevic, F. Giarrizzo (N. Vella), I. Xuereb, S. Harland (J. Refalo), I. Grkajac, M. Raskovic.

St. Lawrence S : 0

E. Fenech, L. Buttigieg (C. Cauchi), M. Mamo, J. Theuma (S. Sultana), M.S. Telessi, J. Grima, J. Portelli, D. Micallef, C. Mercieca, C. Tabone, L. Attard (J. Micallef).

SK Victoria Wanderers defended their first division status with a deserved win over St Lawrence Spurs in the promotion/relegation play-off.  The Wanderers seemed determined to make up for their disappointment in the championship and at the same time they were seeking to find their best form prior to their commitment in the semi-finals of the FA trophy of the MFA.  On the other hand the Spurs had a second opportunity to earn promotion but in this match they showed that they have not recovered from the defeat conceded in their last match of the second division league where they were virtually promoted as champions until ten minutes from the end of the encounter.  Victoria’s win over St Lawrence matured with two goals scored during the first half so that they administered their lead without difficulty for most of the second period.

As expected the Wanderers took command of play from the early stages and in the second minute of play they could have opened the score but a header by Igor Grkajac form a free kick by Fernando Goiarrizzo was blocked by the defence and the ball was stopped by the woodwork.  On 7 minutes Victoria’s Fernando Giarrizzo had a free kick that ended just wide and two minutes later St Lawrence’s goalie Elliott Fenech was well placed to save a good effort by the same Giarrizzo.  The wanderers opened the score on 16 minutes through a strike by Igor Grkajac after receiving from Predrag Dordevic.  Victoria could have doubled the score on 23 minutes when the referee awarded a penalty for a foul by Louis Buttigieg on Predrag Dordevic following a corner action but Milanko Raskovic had his shot from the spot kick saved by goalie Elliott Fenech.  The same goalkeeper was called to make another good intervention on 29 minutes following a shot by Igor Grkajac who was unmarked by Milanko Raskovic.  St Lawrence’s best opportunity to level the score arrived on the half hour mark through a break by Mohammed Senussi Telessi, but the Libyan striker had his attempt from close distance blocked by Victoria’s rear guard.  On 32 minutes St Lawrence’s keeper Elliott Fenech saved with some difficulty a close ranged header by Predrag Dordevic from a corner action and on 37 minutes the Wanderers scored their second goal through a strike by Milanko Raskovic.

St Lawrence tried to produce a reaction after the break but Victoria were well deployed and neutralised the efforts of their opponents without difficulty.  The Wanderers also managed to put their minds at rest form the victory with the third goal that arrived on 76 minutes from a penalty, awarded for a foul by substitute Jonathan Micallef on Johann Attard, and converted by Predrag Dordevic.  On 81 minutes St Lawrence were reduced to ten players when Jonathan Micallef was sent off following another bookable offence and from the resultant free kick Predrag Dordevic saw his attempt ending just wide.  In the following minutes St Lawrence’s keeper Elliott Fenech denied Victoria from scoring more goals with two other difficult saves on separate occasions following attempts by Igor Grkajac.  The wanderers also ended with ten players in the first minute of stoppage time when goalie Matthew Vella handled the ball outside the area in an attempt to stop Mohammed Senussi Telessi following a counter break and was therefore dismissed from the pitch from stopping a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Referee: Matthew Degabriele