GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division I
Gozo Stadium

Gharb R : 0

D. Spiteri, M. Grech, J. Azzopardi, D. Stojanovic, L. Meilak (C. Attard), J.P. Grima (J. Portelli), B.P. Longarela, D. Bellotti (A. Sultana), M. Bezzina, E. Tawiah, M. Nwankwo.

Victoria H : 1 (C. Mercieca 49’)

A. Parnis, J. Pace, L. Grima (J. Bajada), K. Farrugia (C. Camilleri), D. Sowatey, F. Apap, C. Mercieca, E. Lattes, E. Da Silva, J. Camilleri, H. Maciel.


Victoria Hotspurs found it more difficult than expected to earn the maximum points from their match against newly promoted side Gharb Rangers and only managed to maintain their perfect start in the championship with a goal scored during the opening stages of the second period.  The current leaders of the top flight held supremacy over their opponents but failed to score more than one goal to put their mind at rest from the three points at an early stage of the match.  Gharb were determined at their defence and practically remained in contention to earn at least a point form this encounter until the final moments of the match.

In the first minute of play the Hotspurs went close to scoring but a cross shot by Jason pace was saved by goalie Daniel Spiteri with the aid of the post into a corner.  On 8 minutes Victoria’s Daniel Sowatey concluded badly form close distance following a free kick by Henrique Maciel and the ball ended away from goal.  Two minutes later Henrique Maciel had a attempt directly from a free kick that was saved by Gharb’s goalie Daniel Spiteri.  On 18 minutes the Hotspurs were dangerous through a header by Elton Da Silva following a free kick by Henrique Maciel that was blocked by goalie Daniel Spiteri and on 26 minutes a direct free kick by Victoria’s Henrique Maciel was cleared form the goalmouth by Gharb’s Michael Bezzina.  Gharb operated a counter break on 41 minutes but a shot by Moses Nwankwo was neutralised by goalie Adrian Parnis.  The same goalkeeper was well placed one minute later to save a weak shot by Gharb’s Michael Bezzina.  Gharb threatened Victoria’s defence again in the first minute of stoppage time before half time through a shot by Ezekiel Tawiah, after receiving form Michael Bezzina, that was also saved by Victoria’s keeper.

The Hotspurs continued to pile pressure on Gharb’s defence from the early stages of the second period.  On 48 minutes Gharb’s goalie Daniel Spiteri saved in two attempts a close ranged shot by Henrique Maciel who entered the area from the left flank with a personal action.  Victoria scored the goal that decided the issue one minute later whenb Elton Da Silva released Henrique Maciel inside Gharb’s area and the latter unmarked Christian Mercieca who concluded the fast move with a low shot towards an unprotected goal.  In the following minutes the Hotspurs tried to increase their lead.  On 54 minutes a shot by Emiliano Lattes ended just over Gharb’s goal and on 59 minutes Victoria’s Christian Mercieca had a low shot towards the far post that ended inches wide.   On 77 minutes Gharb’s goalie Daniel Spiteri kept his side in contention when he neutralised a shot by Elton Da Silva.  Five minutes later Gharb had a good scoring opportunity which they did not manage to capitalise, when Victoria’s defence did not manage to clear the ball from the area following a header by Moses Nwankwo form a corner action and from the resultant melee, Borja Polo Longarela’s overhead kick passed in front of an open goal until Victoria’s substitute Jonathan Bajada cleared the danger.  The following counter break by the Hotspurs ended with an effort by Henrique Maciel that passed inches away from the post.  The Hotspurs kept insisting for a second goal until the end of the encounter but on 87 minutes Gharb’s goalie Daniel Spiteri managed to kick away in time a strike by substitute Chris Camilleri and on 90 minutes, the same goalkeeper saved again with difficulty to a corner a close ranged shot by the same Chris Camilleri so that the score remained unchanged until the final whistle.

Referee: Paul Apap