GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division I
Gozo Stadium

Kercem A : 3 (O. Rolovic 41’, 68’; A. Haska 77’)

J.P. Cassar, P. Kyumyurdzhiev, O. Spiteri, A. Komljenovic, M. Mifsud, A. Haska, J.P. Mizzi, M. Tabone, M. Mamo, N. Mercieca (E. Vella), O. Rolovic.

SK Victoria W : 2 (P. Dordevic 9’, S. Harland 25’)

L. Camilleri, I. Xuereb, A.G. Attard, G.D. Diaz Valdiviezo, D. Udo Monday, J. Buhagiar (N. Vella), P. Dordevic, S. Harland, A.A. Ige, A. Adesina (C. Sciortino), N. Abot.


The match between Kercem Ajax and SK Victoria Wanderers was considered as a clash between two teams who are aiming to get away from the red zone as early as possible in the championship.  Kercem were coming from two consecutive defeats in their first two matches in the championship, while the Wanderers were coming from a convincing win in their previous match.  The two sides were aiming for the full points at stake and as a result the match turned out into an interesting encounter where the final score remained uncertain until the final whistle.

The Wanderers seemed heading towards an easy win as they expressed superiority over the opponents during the first half hour of play, but they lost concentration during the final stages of the first period, even when they had a period where they had an extra player on the field, and gave away the territorial supremacy to Kercem.  The Ajax were determined to recover the difficult situation and not only recovered the two goal deficit but also turned the result in their favour with a goal that arrived thirteen minutes form the end of regular time.  Kercem’s striker Ognjen Rolovic was the hero for his side by scoring two personal goals and is now leading the top scorers table with four personal goals form three matches.

The Citizens had an excellent start and opened the score on 9 minutes through a header by Predrag Dordevic following a fine cross by Nicolas Abot.  The Wanderers kept insisting and on 17 minutes Nicolas Abot entered Kercem’s area following a personal initiative but goalie John Paul Cassar left his position in time and blocked the danger.  On 20 minutes Victoria went again close to scoring when Abdullahi Ige released Ajibade Adesina within Kercem’s territory, the latter turned around the goalkeeper but his low drive addressed towards an open goal was cleared off the fatal line by Manwel Tabone.  The Wanderers however doubled the score on 25 minutes when Abdullahi Ige released Sam Harland following a counter break and the latter turned around the goalkeeper just outside the area and placed in goal with a fine shot.  Kercem replied on the half hour mark through a header by Ognjen Rolovic following a cross by Marlon Mamo from the right flank that ended just over the crossbar.  Kercem increased their efforts and on 39 minutes Ognjen Rolovic had a good strike from outside the area that was saved to a corner by goalie Leonard Camilleri.  Kercem re-opened the issue on 41 minutes through an excellent header by Ognjen Rolovic following a cross from the right flank by Marlon Mamo.  One minute later the Wanderers replied through a shot from long distance by Nicolas Abot that was saved by goalie John Paul Cassar and on the stroke of regular time before the break the same Abot incredibly headed badly from close distance following a cross by Sam Harland.  In the third minute of stoppage tome before half time Kercem were reduced to ten players when Mario Mifsud was sent off for a second bookable offence.  Kercem however were not demoralized and in the sixth minute of stoppage time before the break Ognjen Rolovic had an attempt directly from a free kick that was deflected to a corner by the wall and the goalkeeper.

After the break the Wanderers failed to take advantage of the extra player on the field and as time passed by Kercem started to take command of play.  On the hour mark Victoria’s rearguard managed to clear the ball with some difficulty form the goalmouth following a cross by substitute Elton Vella.  Two minutes later Victoria were also reduced to 10 players when Anthony George Attard was shown a second yellow card for time wasting.  The match now became more exciting with actions at the two ends of the field although Kercem seemed more determined in their play.  On 64 minutes a free kick by Kercem’s Elton Vella was neutralized by goalie Leonard Camilleri and two minutes later the Wanderers almost re-established their two goal lead but Abdullahi Ige’s header from close distance was saved by goalie John Paul Cassar with the aid of the crossbar.  Kercem leveled the score on 68 minutes through Ognjen Rolovic who arrived on the ball before the goalkeeper following a cross by Alen Haska and headed easily in goal from close distance.  The Wanderers were shocked and three minutes later Kercem almost added another goal but a shot by Elton Vella was cleared by the defense from the goalmouth.  The Wanderers failed to create danger and their most effective action arrived on 81 minutes when Abdullahi Ige ended on the floor in the area following a challenge by Owen Spiteri but the protests for a penalty were to no avail.

Referee: Daniel Portelli