BOV GA Cup Q/final
Kerċem Ajax Stadium

Ghajsnielem FC : 3 (E.F. Da Silva Santos 2’, J.J. Sandobal Guarin 22’, K. Mercieca 26’)

M. Vella, J.J. Sandobal Guarin, K. Mercieca, D. Mercieca (I. Belhadj), S. Bajada (K. Grima), S.F. Bajada, R. Grima, A. Xuereb, O.D. Guerrera Alvaraldo, A. Oularbi, E.F. Da Silva Santos (D. Atzori).

St Lawrence S : 0

L. Buttigieg, S. Mizzi, M. Vasiljevic, K. Hili, J. Theuma, M.S. Telessi (L. Buttigieg), C. Cauchi, C. Azzopardi, J. Grima, S. Cauchi (S. Dimech), L. Attard.


In the first match from the quarter finals of the BOV GFA Cup, holders Ghajnsielem scored three goal during the first part of the match against St Lawrence Spurs so that they have the possibility to defend the second most important honour in Gozitan football for another season.  Ghajnsielem were determined to make sure of the qualification as early as possible in the match and their objective was practically achieve before the half hour mark.  The Spurs tried hard to reduce the deficit but the Blacks were in control of play and managed to defend their comfortable lead until the end of the encounter.

Ghajnsielem had an excellent start and opened the score in the second minute of play when a shot by Alberto Xuereb hit the crossbar and form the rebound Everton Felipe Da Silva Santos took the ball and fired in goal.  The Spurs could have levelled the score in the following minutes as they went close to scoring on two separate occasions.  On 4 minutes Jason Theuma produced a good move from the right flank and took the ball when the goalkeeper left his position in an attempt to clear the danger but his low drive from an angled position passed in front of an open goal and ended just wide.  Three minutes later St Lawrence’s Mohammed Senussi Telessi had a close ranged attempt that was blocked by the defence and form the rebound Jason Theuma’s attempt towards an open goal was stopped by the post.  The Spurs were punished for the missed chances as the Blacks increased the score with two goals scored in the space of four minutes.  On 22 minutes Ghajnsielem doubled the score through a fine header by Jhon Jairo Sandobal Guarin following a corner kick by Ali Oularbi and on 26 minutes Ghajnsielem’s Kenneth Mercieca made it 3-0 with a cross shot that completely surprised goalie Luke Buittigieg.  On 38 minutes Ghajnsielem could have added another goal when the referee awarded a penalty for a foul by goalie Luke Buttiieg on Alberto Xuereb, but the latter had his shot from the spot kick saved to a corner by the goalkeeper.

After the break Ghajnsielem maintained the territorial supremacy but reduced their intensity of pressure on St Lawrence’s rear guard.  On 58 minutes St Lawrence created a good action but the shot by Kenny Hili was neutralised by goalie Matthew Vella.  One minute later the Blacks replied through a first timer by substitute Ishmael Belhadj after receiving from Jhon Jairo Sandobal Guarin that just missed the target.  Ghajnsielem’s Sandobal Guarin had another good header on 68 minutes, following a corner action, that ended just wide and four minutes later Ghajnsielem ended with ten players on the field when Alberto Xuereb got injured and could not be substituted since all the three substitutions by the Blacks were already carried out.  St Lawrence-s best opportunity to score a consolation goal arrived on 84 minutes through a strike from outside the area by Luke Attard, following a clearance by the defence, that was stopped by the crossbar with the goalkeeper beaten.

Referee: Ray Tabone