GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division II
Kercem Ajax Stadium

Sannat L : 3 (F. Xuereb 39’, F. Kosova 58’, 70’)

O. Attard, F. Xuereb, F. Camilleri, D. Borg, S. Sultana, J. Agius (S. Curmi), M. Portelli, N. Micallef (O. Farrugia), A. Camilleri, M. Muscat, F. Kosova.

Zebbug R : 2 (G.B. Mfulwane 8’, 56’)

B. Saliba, G. Portelli, J. Debrincat, O. Calleja, C. Vella (E. Xuereb), A. Buttigieg, M. Ciangura, R. Grech (C. Borg), G.B. Mfulwane, P. Camilleri, F. Cini.

In the main match of match-day 8 of the campaign, Sannat Lions earned the full points at stake from their match against Zebbug Rovers with the odd goal from five.  The match lived up to the expectations as both sides were determined to win the encounter in an attempt to take the second place on the table and become the main challengers to the current leaders Munxar Falcons.  With this result Sannat took the runners-up position at the expense of the same Zebbug and are now four points away from the top position.  Sannat had a difficult start in this match but as time passed by they recovered and became more adventurous than their opponents.  Sannat seemed more experienced for these kind of matches and managed to turn a defeat into a victory by consolidating their defensive department and also by the way that they managed to capitalise from mistakes by Zebbug’s defence.

The Rovers held command of play during the first part of the match.  On 6 minutes a shot form long distance by Francesco Cini missed the target and two minutes later Zebbug opened the score through an excellent shot from an angled position by Gibson Botshelo Mfulwane that surprised Sannat’s goalkeeper.  Zebbug did not manage to convert their superiority into scoring opportunities and as time passed by Sannat gained more confidence and started to take control of play.  On 25 minutes a free kick by Nicholas Micallef was neutralised by goalie Baskal Saliba.  Zebbug replied through a header by Josef Debrincat following a cross by Christian Vella that ended away from Sannat’s goal and on 34 minutes Sannat’s substitute Oliver Farrugia had a good shot after receiving from Antoine Camilleri that ended just high.  Sannat levelled the score on 39 minutes through a header by Fabian Xuereb following a free kick by Mathew Portelli and the first half ended in a deserved draw.

Sannat tried to impose their play after the break and on 49 minutes they created a good scoring opportunity when Simon Sultana released Oliver Farrugia within Zebbug’s territory and the later arrived on the ball before the goalkeeper but the attempt ended inches wide.  On 54 minutes a shot by Sannat’s Antoine Camilleri was partially saved by goalie Baskal Saliba and from the rebound Oliver Farrugia’s shot on the run was blocked by the defence.  Sannat were punished for the missed chances as Zebbug regained the lead on 56 minutes through a close ranged first time by Gibson Botshelo Mfulwane following a cross from the right flank  by Josef Debrincat.  Sannat were not demoralised and two minutes later they clinched the equaliser when Antoine Camilleri took the ball from Zebbug’s defence and from his low pas inside the area Franci Kosova concluded in goal with a low shot.  Sannat also managed to turn the result in their favour on 70 minutes when Zebbug’s keeper Baskal Saliba failed to punch away a cross from the left flank by Oliver Farrugia and the ball arrived to an unmarked Franci Kosova who fired easily into an open goal.  Zebbug’s reaction was sterile as Sannat controlled their lead with authority and also went close to seal the win with another goal in the fourth minute of stoppage time when an attempt from an angled position by Franci Kosova, when the goalkeeper was out of his position, was cleared off the fatal line to a corner by defender George Portelli.

Referee: Shaun Calleja