GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division II
Kercem Ajax Stadium

Qala S : 2 (J. Mifsud 9’, M. Cefai 88’pen.)

L. Xuereb, F. Mumford, G. Sillato, J. Attard, S. Sillato, J. Buttigieg, M. Pace, C. Caruana, M. Cefai, B. Sammut (S. Spiteri), J. Mifsud.

St Lawrence S : 3 (M.S. Telessi 13’, 60’, 84’)

L. Buttigieg, L. Buttigieg, K. Hili, S. Dimech, J. Theuma (J. Micallef), M.S. Telessi, C. Azzopardi, J. Grima, D. Micallef, L. Pisani, L. Attard.


St Lawrence Spurs earned three precious points form their match against Qala Saints and re-opened the chances to be among the challengers for promotion in the remaining part of the campaign.  The Spurs were coming from a disappointing defeat in their previous match and were determined to recover their status as challengers for promotion.  On the other hand Qala were coming from the first win in the campaign registered in their previous match and were therefore confident to obtain another positive result in an effort to move away from the bottom place on the table.  The match turned out into an interesting encounter where play was balanced during the first period but the Spurs made good use of their experience after the break as they dominated over their opponents for most of the time and scored the goals that decided the issue.  The main protagonist in St Lawrence’s win was Mohammed Senussi Telessi who scored the three goals for his side.

The Maroons seemed in a better shape during the first minutes of play and managed to open the score on 9 minutes when a low shot by Malcolm Cefai following a counter break was partially saved by goalie Luke Buttigieg and Jake Mifsud took the rebound to place the ball into an open goal.  The Spurs had a good reaction and levelled the score four minutes later through a close ranged shot by Mohammed Senussi Telessi after receiving inside the area from Luke Attard.  The match became well contested in the midfield for most of the first half but near the end of the first period the Spurs created two good scoring opportunities.  On 33 minutes a shot from a good position by Mohammed Senussi Telessi ended just wide and on 40 minutes Kenny Hili’s attempt ended over Qala’s goal.

The Spurs started to put pressure on Qala’s rear guard form the early stages of the second period and on the hour mark they turned the result in their favour when Steve Dimech released Mohammed Senussi Telessi inside Qala’s area and the latter concluded in goal with a fine shot that was out of the reach of the goalkeeper.  Qala’s reply arrived on 67 minutes through a strike by Bernard Sammut that missed the target and two minutes later St Lawrence could have added another goal when Kenny Hili entered Qala’s area with a personal action but his low shot was deflected by the defence to a corner.  The same Hili went again close to scoring on 71 minutes but his attempt from a good position ended high.  On 80 minutes Qala’s keeper Lorjean Xuereb was called to make an important intervention when he left his position in time to clear the ball to a corner as St Lawrence’s Steve Dimech was entering the area with a personal action.  The Spurs however scored the third goal on 84 minutes when Qala’s keeper cleared within the area a cross from the right flank, the ball arrived to an unmarked Mohammed Senussi Telessi who placed in goal with a curling shot from an angled position.  Three minutes later St Lawrence could have sealed the victory with another goal but a shot by James Grima ended just high.  On 88 minutes Qala were awarded a penalty for a foul by goalie Luke Buttigieg on Jake Mifsud who entered the area with a personal action and Malcolm Cefai converted from the spot kick.  However, in the remaining minutes St Lawrence controlled their lead and denied Qala from producing dangerous actions that could have changed the result.

Referee: George Portelli