GFA BOV Gozo Football league Division I
Gozo Stadium

Gharb R : 2 (C. Attard 5’, D Stojanovic 18’)

D. Spiteri, A. Sultana, D. Stojanovic, J. Azzopardi, J.P. Grima, B. Polo Longarela, D. Bellotti, M. Bezzina, C. Attard, P. Dorovic, M. Barbosa.

Oratory Y : 1 (R. Ebube Okpokwu 33’)

C. Mercieca, Ju. Attard (A. Bezzina), J. Polo Longarela, M. Buttigieg, K. Grima, K. Farrugia (J. Buttigieg), M. Azzopardi, G. B. Mfulwane, Jo. Attard, R. Ebube Okpokwu, P. Panagiotis.

Gharb Rangers extended their good moment of form and registered their third consecutive win in the championship, from as many matches in the second round, from their match against direct opponents form the relegation zone Oratory Youths.  With the points obtained the Rangers moved to the fourth position on the table and with a good lead over the teams at the lower part on the table.  Gharb paved the way to the victory with two goal scored during the opening stages of the encounter and administered their led until the end of the encounter.

In the first minute of play Gharb’s Michael Bezzina had a good strike that was deflected to a corner by the defence but in the fifth minute of play they opened the score through a close ranged first timer by skipper Christian Portelli following a cross by John Paul Grima.  Gharb continued to maintain pressure on Oratory’s defence and on 9 minutes a direct free kick by Predrag Dorovic ended just over the crossbar.  Gharb doubled the score on 18 minutes when a free kick by Michael Bezzina was not held by goalie Courtney Mercieca and Darko Stojanovic arrived on the ball and netted form close distance.  Two minutes later Gharb could have added another goal but another first timer by Christian Attard from a good position was stopped by the post.  Oratory managed to reduce the deficit on 33 minutes through a low shot from outside the area by Ralph Ebube Okpokwu that ended out of the reach of the goalkeeper.  Three minutes later the Rangers were again unlucky when a shot from outside the area by Borja Polo Longarela hit the crossbar.  Oratory could have levelled the score on 44 minutes when Gharb’s keeper Daniel Spiteri was almost surprised by a shot from outside the area by Jurgen Attard but from the rebound debutant Gibson Mfulwane had his attempt blocked by the same keeper.

After the resumption Oratory tried to increase their efforts in an attempt to recover the deficit but Gharb were well organised and not only kept the danger away from their area but also continued to be more dangerous in their counter breaks.  Oratory’s best scoring opportunities arrived midway through the second half through two corner kicks on separate occasions by substitute Aleandro Bezzina that were cleared away from the goalmouth with some difficulty by goalie Daniel Spiteri.  On 72 minutes Oratory were reduced to ten players when Kersten Grima was sent off for a second bookable offence following an foul on Borja Polo Longarela and from the resultant free kick Gharb’s striker failed to conclude in goal following a melee in front of Oratory’s goal.  The Youths went again close to save the result during the dying moments of the encounter.  In the first minute of stoppage time Gharb’s keeper Daniel Spiteri saved with some difficulty to a corner a free kick by Gibson Mfulwane and from the resultant corner kick by Johann Attard the ball ended on the roof of the net and three minutes later a header by Ralph Ebube Okpokwu was weak and the goalkeeper saved without difficulty so that the final score remained unchanged.

Referee: Paul Toledo