GFA Gozo Football League Division II
Kercem Ajax Stadium

Munxar F : 3 (P. Said 45+9’, J. Parnis 65’, 89’)

L. Xuereb, B. Meilak, M. Debrincat, C. Gafa, C. Bugeja, R. Meilak, O. Curmi (P. Parnis), J. Parnis, M. Mattias Uzor, J. Grima (N. Attard), P. Said (M. Azzopardi).

Zebbug R : 2 (B.Perello Palou 24’, 47’)

B. Saliba, G. Portelli, F. Cini, C. Borg, J. Debrincat, C. vella, M. Ciangura, B.Perello Palou, P. Camilleri, C. Farrugia, M. Mamo.


Munxar Falcons recovered from the defeat conceded in their previous match and earned three precious points from a hard-earned win over Zebbug Rovers with the odd goal from five. The match was well contested as the two sides had reasons to aim for the full points at stake.  Munxar were determined to win this match to regain their leadership while Zebbug needed a victory to remain on the same spot at the third place with St Lawrence Spurs.  For most of the time Zebbug seemed in a position to win the match but during the final stages Munxar increased their efforts, created pressure on Zebbug’s rear guard and turned a defeat into a victory with a decisive goal that arrived one minute form the end of regular time.

During the opening minutes of the encounter the two sides tried to take command of play but the two defensive departments prevailed over the respective strikers.  After some minutes of play the match was stopped for around 15 minutes as Munxar’s Oliver Curmi was injured when he hit the post in a corner action.  When play resumed Zebbug became more dangerous mainly through debutant Bartomeu Perello Palou.  Perello Palou could have opened the score on 23 minute when he arrived on the ball before goalie Lorjean Xuereb but the attempt ended on the side of the net.  Zebbug however opened the score one minute later when Bartomeu Perello Palou received a ball inside Munxar’s area and netted with a low shot.  Munxar’s reaction arrived on 32 minutes through a shot by paul said that ended just over the crossbar.  Munxar continued to struggle to produce a reaction.  On 44 minutes a shot by Ryan Meilak was deflected by Zebbug’s defence and the action ended in a corner.  In the sixth minute of stoppage time before half time Zebbug were unlucky when a good shot by Josef Debrincat was stopped by the post.  Munxar levelled the score with a goal that arrived in the ninth minute of stoppage time before the break when Michael Mattias Uzor entered Zebbug’s area from the left flank and form his low cross Paul Said converted from close distance.

Zebbug came out more aggressive after the break and regained the lead on 47 minutes through another goal by Bartomeu Perello Palou following a personal action.   Three minutes later the same striker produced another dangerous action but form his pass Chris Borg had his effort blocked by Munxar’s goalie Lorjean Xuereb.  The same goalkeeper was again called to leave his position on 51 minutes to block an effort by Josef Debrincat.  On 56 minutes it was Zebbug’s goalie Baskal Saliba who had good timing to clear the ball from the edge of the area before Michael Mattias Uzor could conclude towards goal.  One minute later Zebbug could have increased their lead when Chris Borg turned around an opponent within Munxar’s area and from his pass Bartomeu Perello Palou incredibly lifted the ball over the crossbar with an open goal at his mercy.  The Rovers were punished for the missed chance as Munxar levelled the score on 65 minutes through a fine shot towards the far post by Jordi Parnis following a cross by Michael Mattias Uzor.  The Falcons held command of play during the final stages of the encounter.  On 70 minutes a shot by Michael Mattias Uzor was saved in two attempts by Zebbug’s goalie Baskal Saliba and on 85 minutes an effort by Ryan Meilak was blocked in front of the goalmouth by Zebbug’s defender Marlon Mamo.  Munxar clinched the victory with a goal scored on 89 minutes when substitute Nicholas Attard played the ball towards Zebbug’s goal following a cross from the left flank by Paul Said and Jordi Parnis pushed the ball into goal in his second attempt as Zebbug’s defence tried desperately without success to clear the danger off the fatal line.

Referee: Darko Stankovic