GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division II
Kercem Ajax Stadium

Xaghra U : 1 (M. Galea pen. 43’)

F. Azzopardi, J. Xiberras, S. Sultana, D. Bajada, S. Galea, S. Bonello (O. Pogukay), G. Farrugia, E. Xiberras, M. Janjus, J. Bajada, M. Galea (P.J. Mifsud).

Munxar F : 3 (J. Parnis 4’pen, 7’; C. Bugeja 77’)

L. Xuereb, B. Meilak, C. Gafa, P. Parnis, C. Bugeja, S. Muscat, O. Curmi, F. Attard (M. Debrincat), M.M. Uzor (M. Azzopardi), J. Parnis, P. Said (J. Grima).

In the first match from Match-Day 17 of the campaign Munxar Falcons obtained a hard-earned win over Xaghra United.  Munxar seemed heading towards a comfortable match as they opened a two-goal lead during the opening minutes of the encounter but as time passed by they suffered Xaghra’s reaction and only made sure of the issue with a third goal scored during the final stages of the match.

Munxar were awarded a penalty in the fourth minute of play for a foul by Xaghra’s Steve Sultana on Michael Matthias Uzor and Jordi Parnis opened the score with his shot from the spot kick.  Xaghra were shocked and on 7 minutes Munxar doubled the score with another goal scored by Jordi Parnis who entered Xaghra’s area with a personal action and concluded in goal with a low drive.  Xaghra replied on 26 minutes through a shot by Milorad Janjus that ended wide and on 31 minutes Xaghra’s David Bajada concluded weak when he was in a good position so that goalie Lorjean Xuereb saved without difficulty.  Xaghra increased their efforts and on 38 minutes a header by Silvan Bonello was save dto a corner by goalie Lorjean Xuereb and one minute later the Blues were unlucky when a strike by Etienne Xiberras hit the two post and the ball was cleared form the goalmouth by the defence.  Munxar’s keeper was again called to make a good save on 42 minute to turn to a corner a shot by Gabriel Farrugia. Xaghra reduced the score on 43 minutes when a close ranged shot by Milorad Janjus was blocked on the fatal line by Brian Meilak and Savio Galea pushed the ball in goal from the rebound.  However, the goal was not allowed as the referee awarded the penalty for handling by Brian Meilak, who was also sent off for the infringement, and Manuel Galea converted from the spot kick.

Munxar held command of play after the break despite playing with a player less and on 49 minutes they went close to scoring but shot by Paul Said was well saved to a corner by goalie Frankie Azzopardi.  Munxar scored their third goal on 77 minutes through a cross shot by Christian Bugeja that ended out of the reach of the goalkeeper and with the ball hitting the post before crossing the line.  Four minutes later an effort by Munxar’s Jordi Parnis was well saved by Xaghra’s keeper Frankie Azzopardi and on 84 minutes Xaghra could have score their second goal but a close ranged shot by Johann Bajada, after receiving from Milorad Janjus, was well saved by goalie Lorjean Xuereb.  On 88 minutes Munxar’s substitute Joseph Grima had a good shot following some hesitation by Xaghra’s rearguard that was well blocked by the goalkeeper and the score remained unchanged.

Referee: Marko Jakovljevic