GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division I
Gozo Stadium

SK Victoria W : 2 (I. Xuereb 46’, R. Grech 54’)

G. Ratto, N.J. Guerrero, J. Buhagiar, M. Vasiljevic, C. Sciortino, I. Xuereb, N. Vella, R. Grech (A. Tourarha), D.U. Monday, A.A. Ige, A. Adesina.

Ghajnsielem FC : 3 (M.A. Morgon Filho 42’, 75’; Al. Xuereb 77’)

J. Grech, I. Belhadj, L.A. De Melo Lima, K. Mercieca, An. Xuereb (K. Grima), A. Oularbi, D. Hili, Al. Xuereb, M.A. Morgon Filho, J.J. Sandobal Guarin.

Ghajnsielem obtained three precious points from a 3-2 win over SK Victoria Wanderers and are now seven points clear from the relegation zone with five more matches until the end of the championship. This match was considered as a direct clash from the lower part of the table as the Wanderers, who are occupying the second place form the bottom on the table, were aiming to obtain a win and to move to just one point behind the Blacks, while Ghajnsielem needed the three points at stake to secure their first division status before the last matches of the championship.  Ghajnsielem saw more of the ball for most of the encounter but the Wanderers

Were well organised at their defence and were also dangerous in their sporadic action towards Ghajnsielem’s goal.  The match was therefore well contested where the victory could have gone either way.

Play took place in the midfield during the opening minutes of the encounter as the two sides tries to have a prudent approach to the encounter.  However, as time passed by the Blacks gained more confidence and became more effective in their play.  On 8 minutes a header by Luis Andre De Melo Lima following a cross by Marco Antonio Morgon Filho was neutralised by Victoria’s goalie Giacomo Ratto and on 16 minutes the same goalkeeper was well placed to save an effort by De Melo Lima.  Victoria’s keeper was again called to make a good intervention in 21 minutes following a shot by Ishmael Belhadj and two minutes later the Wanderers replied with a free kick from long distance by Jesus Guerrero that was easily blocked by goalie Joseph Grech.  On 27 minutes Ghajnsielem’s Kenneth Mercieca headed high from a good position following a corner action but on 42 minutes Ghajnsielem broke the deadlock when a shot form outside the area by Ali Oularbi was deflected and the ball arrived to an unmarked Marco Antonio Morgon Filho who placed easily behind Victoria’s keeper.

The Wanderers produced their reaction from the initial stages of the second half and levelled the score after twenty five seconds of play through a fine curling shot by Ian Xuereb.  On 51 minutes Ghajnsielem replied with an initiative by Alberto Xuereb that was blocked to a corner by goalie Giacomo Ratto.  On 54 minutes the Wanderers turned the result in their favour when Abdullahi Ige released Ryan Grech and the latter fired in goal with a strike form an angled position.  Ghajnsielem recovered from the difficult moment and on 65 minutes they had a goal by Luis Andre De Melo Lima that was disallowed for an offside infringement.  On 71 minutes a shot by Damon Hili following a corner action was saved by Victoria’s keeper and on 75 minutes the Blacks levelled the score when Luis Andre De Melo Lima passed inside the area to Marco Antonio Morgon Filho who placed in goal with a low shot.  Ghajnsielem kept insisting and two minutes later they score the goal that decided the issue when a cross by Ali Oularbi was deflected inside the area by Luis Andre De Melo Lima and Alberto Xuereb headed in goal from close distance.  The Wanderers tried to save the result and on 79 minutes a good shot by Ryan Grech was saved to a corner by goalie Joseph Grech. In another occasion on 84 minutes Ghajsnielem’s goalie saved in two attempts a lob by Abdullahi Ige and in the first minute of stoppage time the Wanderers had their last opportunity to earn a point form this encounter by a header by Jesus Guerrero from close distance ended high.

Referee: Ryan Caruana