GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division I
Gozo Stadium

Kercem A : 3 (A. Zammit 45’, A. Mizzi 54’, E. Vella 61’)

J.P. Cassar, A. Komljenovic (D. Cassar), N. Mercieca, N. Mercieca, M. Perisic, J.P. Mizzi, E. Vella, A. Mizzi, A. Haska, A. Zammit, O. Spiteri, D.C. Flores.

Ghajnsielem FC : 3 (M.A. Morgon Filho 31’, A. Xuereb 40’, L.A. De Melo Lima 90+3’)

J. Grech, An. Xuereb (R. Grima), D. Mercieca, L.A. De Melo Lima, K. Mercieca, Al. Xuereb, A. Oularbi, J.G. Vella (D. Atzori), K. Grima (D. Hili), M.A. Morgon Filho, J.J. Sandobal Guarin.

Kercem Ajax and Ghajnsielem shared six goals in an entertaining match which was considered as a direct clash for the fourth place on the standings.  Ghajnsielem were aiming to win this match to reach the same Kercem on the table.  The Blacks also took a two-goal lead but Kercem had a determined reaction and turned the result in their favour.  Kercem failed to capitalise from a good moment to score another goal and put their minds at rest from the victory so that Ghajnsielem managed to produce an effective reaction during the final moments of the match and saved the result with a gaol that arrived seconds away from the final whistle.  The result however favoured Kercem as they remain three points ahead of Ghajnsielem on the table.

Ghajnsielem were undoubtedly the better side for most of the first period.  On 9 minutes a header by Luis Andre De Melo Lima from a cross by Kenneth Mercieca ended high and less than a minute later Ghajnsielem’s keeper Joseph Grech left his position in time to clear the ball before Alen Haska could arrive on the ball to conclude from close distance.  Ghajnsielem opened the score on 31 minutes when Luis Andre De Melo Lima produced some pressure on Kercem’s goalie John Paul Cassar, won the possession and form his low pass Marco Antonio Morgon Filho fired in goal from close distance.  Kercem tried to produce a reaction and three minutes later a free kick by Alen Haska was saved to a corner by goalie Joseph Grech.  Minutes later a header by Daniel Chayes Flores from another corner kick by Elton Vella was deflected to a corner by Ghajnsielem’s rear guard. Ghajnsielem doubled the score on 40 minutes when Joseph George Vella entered the area from the right flank and from his cross a shot by Luis Andre De Melo Lima was blocked by the defence and from the rebound Alberto Xuereb concluded in goal with a low shot that ended in the net despite the attempt of the goalkeeper to clear the danger.  On 45 minutes Kercem reduced the deficit through a close ranged header by Anthony Zammit following a corner kick by Alen Haska.

Kercem maintained their momentum from the early stages of the second period and on 54 minutes they levelled the score when Andrew Mizzi took the ball following some hesitation by the defence to clear from the edge of the area and placed in goal with a low drive.  Ghajnsielem were shocked and on 59 minutes Kercem’s Alen Haska had an attempt that was stopped by the crossbar and from the rebound Daniel Chayes Flores fired high from close distance.  Kercem however turned the sore in their favour on 61 minutes when Daniel Chayes Flores took the ball from a free kick by Alen Haska, his shot was partially saved by goalie Joseph Grech with the aid of the post and from the rebound Elton Vella arrived on the ball and concluded with a shot on the run.  Ghajnsielem replied two minutes later through a header from close distance by Kenneth Mercieca that missed the target, and on 65 minutes Kercem’s Jean Paul Mizzi had an effort following a free kick by Alen Haska that was neutralised by goalie Joseph Grech.  Ghajnsielem’s goalie was again called to make an important save on 84 minutes to block an effort by Daniel Chayes Flores and the same goalkeeper practically kept his side in contention on 90 minutes when he saved with some difficulty a shot by Elton Vella.  Ghajnsielem replied less than a minute later with a low shot by Marco Antonio Morogon Filho that was blocked by the goalkeeper and in the third minute of stoppage time the Blacks levelled the score when Kercem’s defence filed to clear the ball from the are following a free kick by Damon Hili and Luis Andre De Melo Lima took the ball and netted with a low shot.

Referee: Daniel Portelli