GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division I
Gozo Stadium

Victoria H : 3 (C.Mercieca 66’, 80’; E. Da Silva 89’)

A. Parnis, L. Grima (J. Tabone), J. Bajada, K. Farrugia (S.F. Bajada), D. Sowatey, F. Apap, C. Mercieca, E. Lattes, E. Da Silva, G. Dwomoh Lombas, J. Camilleri (A. Debrincat).

Oratory Y : 0

C. Mercieca, S. Azzopardi (G. Attard), R. Ebube Okpokwu, M. Buttigieg, M. Azzopardi, K. Farrugia (K. Grima), J. Polo Longarela, S. Mbacke, G.B. Mfulwane, J. Attard (J. Buttigieg), D. Azzopardi.

Victoria Hotspurs continued to express their superiority in the BOV Gozo Football league division I championship with a 3-0 win over bottom placed Oratory Youths.  Victoria’s win however turned out to be more difficult than expected as oratory resisted to Victoria’s supremacy for more than an hour of the match but practically threw the towel as they conceded the first goal that arrived midway through the second period.  The protagonist in Victoria’s win was Christian Mercieca who scored the two goals that paced the way to the win for his side.

Oratory’s keeper was almost surprised on 7 minutes following a direct free kick by Elton Da Siva but the goalkeeper managed to svae the danger to a corner.  On 14 minutes a shot by Victoria’s Emilliano Lattes ended high and three minutes later Oratory’s keeper Courtney Mercieca was again called to make a good save following a header by Ferdinando Apap from a free kick.  Oratory operated a dangerous action on 25 minutes through an initiative by Johann Attard but from his cross Gibsoin Mfulwane’s attempt was weak and goalie Adrian Parnis saved without difficulty.  Three minutes later a low drive by Elton Da Silva ended just wide and on 29 minutes Oratory’s Ralph Ebube Okpokwu took the ball from Victoria’s short clearance but his attempt was deflected to a corner.  Oratory’s keeper was again called to make a good save on 43 minutes following a shot by Elton Da Silva and in the second minute of stoppage time before half time the same Da Silva had an attempt directly from a free kick that ended wide.

The Hotspurs became more dangerous after the break as they increased their efforts to open the score.  On 51 minutes Kevin Farrugia operated a fine personal action but his shot ended just over the crossbar.  The Hotspurs opened the score on 66 minutes when Elton Da Silva unmarked Christian Mercieca ho placed in goal with a low drive as the goalkeeper left his position in an attempt to block the danger.  Oratory could have levelled the score six minutes later but Gibson Mfulwane headed wide form a good position a free kick from long distance by Manuel Buttigieg.  Victoria Hotspurs however continued to hold supremacy and made sure of the victory with two more goals.  On 80 minutes Elton Da Silva crossed towards the goalmouth a cross from the left flank by substitute Andrew Debrincat and Christian Mericeca arrived on the ball to conclude in goal with a tap-in.  On 84 minutes the Hotspurs sealed the victory with the third goal that arrived through an excellent strike by Elton Da Silva that ended out of the reach of the goalkeeper.  Oratory’s best opportunity to score a consolation goal arrived on 89 minutes through a shot from outside the area by Seck Mbacke that ended high                                                                                           

Referee: Malcolm Spiteri