GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division I
Gozo Stadium

Gharb R : 1 (P. Dorovic 78’)

D. Spiteri, A. Sultana, D. Bellotti, J. Azzopardi, J.P. Grima (M. Grech), M. Zerafa, M. Bezzina, P. Dorovic, J. Camenzuli, J. Farrugia (L. Meilak), A. Shkjau.

Ghajnsielem FC : 3 (L.A. De Melo Lima 29’, 46’, 90+3’)

Y. Cassar, An. Xuereb, D. Mercieca, L.A. De Melo Lima, C. Dingli, D. Atzori, K. Grima, J.G. Vella (Al. Xuereb), D. Hili, N. Belhadj (I. Belhadj), J.J. Sandobal Guarin.

Ghajnsielem confirmed their good moment of form expressed particularly during the matches in the third and final round of the championship with a 3-1 win over Gharb Rangers.  In this last match of the championship for the two sides both Gharb and Ghajnsielem were aiming for the victory in an attempt to obtain the best possible final placing on the table.  With this result Ghajnsielem earned the fourth place on the table which is a respectable achievement especially when considering that at one point they were among other teams in the relegation zone.  On the other hand Gharb, who had an impressive run in the championship, ended the season on a negative note but this result does not minimise the merits gained in their previous performances.

In this match the Blacks enjoyed territorial supremacy and created more danger than their opponents mainly because Gharb were once again without the service of Marcelo Barbosa due to an injury and played most of the match with a player less on the field as they had a player sent off near the need of the first half.

Ghajnsielem could have opened the score on 12 minutes but a header by Jhon Jairo Sandobal Guarin from a free kick by Damon Hili was saved to a corner with difficulty by goalie Daniel Spiteri.  Ghajnsielem opened the score on 29 minutes through a close ranged shot by Luis Andre De Melo Lima following a low cross by Joseph George Vella.  On 30 minutes Ghajnsielem’s Jhon Jairo Sandobal Guarin headed wide form a good position and on 40 minutes Gharb were reduced to ten players when Dylan Bellotti was sent off for a foul on Daniel Atzori.  Ghajnsielem almost scored a second goal three minutes later when Gharb’s defender John Paul Grima headed badly in an attempt to clear the danger but the ball fell on the crossbar and ended out.

In the first minute of play of the second period Ghajnsielem doubled the score when Gharb’s goalie Daniel Spiteri left his position in an attempt to clear the ball from outside the area but Luis Andre De Melo Lima arrived first on the ball, turned around the goalkeeper and placed easily into an open goal.  On 58 minutes Gharb’s John Paul Grima risked to commit an own goal when he cleared the ball in time before Luis Andre De Melo Lima was about to conclude form close distance.  Gharb created a good action on 67 minutes but Michael Zerafa’s shot was neutralised by goalie Yandrick Cassar.  On 77 minute Ghajnsielem’s substitute Alberto Xuereb had a shot that ended just high and one minute later Gharb reduced the deficit when Predrag Dorovic entered Ghajnsielem’s territory following a through pass by Michael Bezzina and lobbed over the goalkeeper to place the ball into an open goal.  Gharb grew in confidence and on 86 minutes a shot by Michael Bezzina ended wide and on 90 minutes Ghajnsielem’s keeper Yandrick Cassar was well placed to partially saved an effort by Michael Bezzina and from the rebound Gharb’s substitute Luke Meilak failed to conclude form an ideal position.  In the first minute of stoppage time Gharb were reduced to nine players when goalie Daniel Spiteri was sent off for handling outside the area to stop a dangerous break by Ghajnsielem and from the resultant free kick, taken by Damon Hili after two minutes until the substitution of the goalkeeper was completed, Luis Andre De Melo Lima concluded in goal to make sure of the win for his side.

Referee: Joe Agius