GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division I
Gozo Stadium

SK Victoria W : 2 (A. Ige 6’, A. Adesina 90+3’)

G. Ratto, N.J. Guerrero, A.G. Attard (A. Touarha), M. Vasiljevic, C. Sciortino, I. Xuereb, N. Vella, R. Grech, D.U. Monday, A.A. Ige, A. Adesina.

Kercem A : 2 (E. Vella 8’, A. Mizzi 75’)

B. Vrndic, D. Chavez Flores, A. Mizzi, M. Perisic, O. Spiteri, E. Vella, A. Haska (D. Cassar), A. Zammit, J. Grech, N. Mercieca, M. Mifsud.

SK Victoria Wanderers and Kercem Ajax earned a point each form a draw of four goals and at the end the points obtained by Kercem left them at the fifth place on the table while the Wanderers remained in the relegation trouble.  The Wanderers could have made sure of avoiding the direct relegation with a victory from this encounter but they struggled to take supremacy over their opponents and only managed to save the result with a goal that arrived during stoppage time.  The Wanderers will have to defend their seventh place on the table in their last match of the championship against their direct opponents Oratory Youths.

Kercem could have opened the score after just 35 seconds of play but an effort by Alen Haska was well blocked by goalie Giacomo Ratto.  The Wanderers replied on 5 minutes but Ryan Grech hit badly form a good position and goalie Branko Vrndic saved without difficulty.  The Wanderers opened the score in the sixth minute of play when a cross by Ryan Grech arrived to Abdullahi Ige who controlled the ball despite the pressure of his opponents and netted from close distance.  Kercem however levelled the score two minutes later when Elton Vella received a ball from Anthony Zammit just outside the area and the former fired in goal with a shot that was out of the reach of the goalkeeper.  On 10 minutes Kercem’s keeper Branko Vrndic was well placed to save a shot by Abdullahi Ige.  In an immediate reply by Kercem an effort by Daniel Chavez Flores was saved by goalie Giacomo Ratto.  Kercem’s goalie was again called to make a good intervention on 14 minutes following another attempt by Ryan Grech and on 21 minutes Kercem’s Joey Grech and Daniel Chavez Flores both failed to conclude from close distance following an action by Alen Haska so that the defence cleared the danger with some difficulty.  On 37 minutes a header by Victoria’s Abdullahi Ige following a free kick by Antony George Attard as neutralised by goalie Branko Vrndic and three minutes later the same Attard had another free kick from long distance but Jesus Guerrero headed high from a good position.

The Wanderers increased their efforts after the break and on the hour mark a shot by Ian Xuereb following a header inside the area by Ajibade Adesina was deflected to a corner.  From the same corner action a header by Jesus Guerrero was neutralised by goalie Branko Vrndic.   Three minutes later Victoria’s Abdullahi Ige had a good strike that was saved to a corner with difficulty by Kercem’s goalie. On 65 minutes Kercem’s keeper made the most difficult intervention of the encounter when he blocked a shot by Ryan Grech who was released by Abdullahi Ige.  On 67 minutes a header by Jesus Guerrero from a corner kick by Ian Xuereb ended wide from Kercem’s goal and in the following action Daniel Chavez Flores unmarked Alen Haska who saw his shot ended away from Victoria’s goal.  Kercem took the lead on 75 minutes when Joey Grech entered Victoria’s area from the right flank and from his low pass Andrew Mizzi converted with a low drive.  The Wanderers produced a strong reaction during the dying moments of the encounter and on 87 minutes a header by Abdullahi Ige following a free kick from long distance was saved by goalie Branko Vrndic.  One minute later the same goalkeeper had good timing to clear the ball in time before Abdullahi Ige could conclude form close distance and the defence cleared the danger.  Victoria clinched the equaliser in the third minute of stoppage time when Abdullahi Ige released Ajibade Adesina who placed in goal with a low shot.  The Wanderers also went close to score the decisive goal one minute later but a strike by Ryan Grech was blocked in front of the goalmouth by Anthony Zammit so that the score remained unchanged.

Referee: Ryan Caruana