GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division II

Gozo Stadium – 28th April 2018


Munxar F : 3 (M.M. Uzor 9’, 19’ J. Parnis 12’)

Xuereb, B. Meilak, K. Borg, C. Gafa, R. Meilak, C. Bugeja, S. Muscat, O. Curmi (M. Azzoaprdi), M.M. Uzor, P. Said (M. Debrincat), J. Parnis (J. Grima).

Sannat L : 2 (M.S. Telessi 49’, 70’pen)

Attard, F. Xuereb, F. Camilleri, S. Sultana, M. Portelli (J. Zammit), M. Muscat, A. Camilleri, J. Agius, O. Farrugia, D. Borg (J. Buttigieg), M. Senussi Telessi.


The last match of the BOV Gozo Football League division II campaign for the 2017/2018 season, played at the Gozo Stadium, ended with a deserved 3-2 win for Munxar Falcons over their rivals, and contenders for the main honour, Sannat Lions.  With this result Munxar became champions of the category and won promotion to the top flight next season. This last match turned out into a decisive encounter to establish the champions of the category and the promotion issue. Munxar needed at least a point form this match while Sannat could have earned the title and promotion with a win over the same Munxar.  Munxar put their minds at rest from achieving their objective by opening a comfortable three-goal lead during the first quarter of the playing time. Munxar therefore administered play for the rest of the encounter so that they not only earned the point they needed to become champions but also registered another win over their rivals. The Falcons also remained unbeaten from all matches played against Sannat and also ended the campaign with a tally of 50 points.  Thus, the title won by Munxar at the end of the championship was well deserved as they were in the top positions throughout the campaign, managed to recover immediately after difficulty moments and above all they were always in a better form than Sannat in all direct clashes. Munxar ended a very successful season by winning the double, as they were already winners of the Knock Out competition for the category with a victory in a penalty shootout against the same Sannat.

Sannat tried to be offensive in their play during the opening minutes and in the third minute of play they were dangerous through a shot by Fabian Xuereb that was neutralised by goalie Lorjean Xuereb.  Munxar opened the score in their first serious action within Sannat’s area that arrived on 9 minutes through Michael Mattias Uzor who controlled the ball inside the small area following a cross from the right flank by Ryan Meilak, turned around his direct opponent and placed easily in goal from close distance.  Sannat were shocked and three minutes later Munxar doubled the score with a low drive by Jordi Parnis following a personal action from the left flank.  On 15 minutes Sannat replied with a strike by Mohammed Senussi Telessi that was saved to a corner by goalie Lorjean Xuereb and from the same corner kick by Matthew Portelli, Mark Muscat headed inside the area abut Antoine Camilleri effort was saved to another corner by Munxar’s keeper.  Munxar punished Sannat for the missed chance with the third goal that arrived on 19 minutes when a shot by Paul Said was partially saved by goalie Owen Attard and from the rebound Michael Mattias Uzor concluded easily in goal.  Sannat tried to produce a reaction during the final stages of the first half and on 34 minutes they were dangerous through a shot cross by Frankie Camilleri that was well saved by goalie Lorjean Xuereb.  Two minutes later an attempt by Oliver Farrugia ended just high and on 41 minutes a free kick by Mohammed Senussi Telessi just missed the target. Munxar replied one minute later through a personal action by Jordi Parnis but the striker saw his shot from an angled position that ended on the side of the net.  Sannat went again close to scoring on 44 minutes but Munxar’s keeper Lorjean Xuereb made a very difficult intervention to turn to a corner an effort by Antoine Camilleri and form the same corner action Sannat’s strikers failed to conclude in goal from the melee in front of Munxar’s goalmouth.

Sannat reduced the score with a goal that arrived in the fourth minute of play of the second period when Antoine Camilleri released Mohammed Senussi Telessi inside Munxar’s area and the latter concluded in goal with a low shot.  Sannat kept insisting but Munxar were well deployed and managed to control Sannat’s play.  Sannat however managed to re-open their chances with a second goal that arrived on 70 minutes from a penalty, awarded for a foul by Brian Meilak on substitute Joseph Zammit and Mohammed Senussi Telessi converted from the spot kick.  Three minutes later Sannat had a good opportunity to level the score but a shot by Joseph Zammit was saved to a corner by goalie Lorjean Xuereb.  Sannat suffered a setback in their attempt to recover the deficit on 80 minutes when they ended with ten players on the field as Nicholas Micallef was sent off for a second bookable offence following a foul on substitute Joseph Grima.  Four minutes later Munxar also ended with ten players when skipper Keith Borg was sent for a second caution following a foul on Antoine Camilleri. From the resultant free-kick Sannat’s Josiah Buttigieg had his attempt that was cleared with difficulty to a corner but the score remained unchanged until the final whistle of the referee.

At the end of the match Munxar’s players and their numerous supporters started the celebrations for the success achieved and the festive atmosphere continued when the players and club officials were presented with medals and the trophy of champions by Mr Horace Laudi, the Regional Manager for Bank of Valletta in Gozo, the President of the GFA Dr Samuel Azzopardi and other GFA officials.

Referee: Alan Mario Sant