GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division Il

Gozo Stadium – 21st April 2018

Xaghra U : 5 (M. Janus 28’, 40’, 90+1’; A. Xiberras 90’, S. Galea 90+2’)

J.P. Cassar, M. Tabone, J.P. Mizzi (A. Zammit), J. Grech, N. Mercieca, A. Aska, M. Perisic, D.F. Chavez, E. Vella, A. Mizzi, O. Spiteri.

Qala S : 1 (M. Niakate 1’)

Spiteri, A. Sultana, J. Portelli, P. Dorovic, , M. Zerafa (L. Meilak), M. Bezzina (J. Farrugia), A. Shkjau, M. Barbosa, J. Camenzuli, C. Attard, J.P. Grima.

Xaghra United ended their commitments in the second division league with a handsome win over bottom-placed Qala saints.  In this last match of the campaign for the two sides the final score did not have any impact on the final standings as Xaghra were already sure of the placing at the second place from the bottom, while Qala were mathematically sure of ending at the last place on the table.  The match turned out into a well contested match where both sides were relieved from any pressure. However, Xaghra dominated the final stages of the encounter so that they ended up obtaining a win by a large margin.


Qala had an excellent start and opened the score after just ten seconds when Modibo Niakate received the ball inside Xaghra’s area in an unmarked position and netted with a low drive with the ball hitting the base of the post before ending in goal.  Xaghra replied two minutes later through a shot by Milorad Janjus that ended high but as time passed by play took place in the midfield as Qala managed to control play and to keep their area clear from danger.  Xaghra however managed to level the score on 28 minutes through Milorad Janus who entered Qala’s territory with a personal action and placed into an open goal after turning around Qala’s keeper who left his position in an attempt to block the danger.  Four minutes later Qala’s keeper Omar Xuereb made a difficult save to turn to a corner another attempt by Milorad Janjus and on 34 minutes the same goalkeeper was well placed to neutralise a shot from an angled position by Joseph Mercieca.  Xaghra turned the result in their favour on 40 minutes through a fine strike from outside the area by Milorad Janjus following a personal action.


Qala tried to produce a reaction from the early stages of the second half but they found it difficult to convert their efforts into scoring opportunities.  Xaghra gained more confidence as time passed by and as a result the outcome of the match remained uncertain for most of the second half of the match. On 63 minutes Qala’s Bernard Sammut had a shot from outside the area that ended high and one minute later Xaghra replied through a free kick by Gabriel Farrugia that was well saved by goalie Omar Xuereb.  On 67 minutes Qala’s keeper was called to make an effective intervention to clear the ball from the edge of the area before Adrian Xiberras could conclude in goal following a personal action and the same Xiberras was unlucky one minute later when his good shot was stopped by the crossbar. Xaghra continued to produce more dangerous play and on 76 minutes Savio Galea had a header following a corner by Joseph Mercieca that ended just over Qala’s goal.  On 80 minutes Qala had an opportunity to level the score when they were awarded a penalty for handling by Peter Joe Mifsud but Joseph Attard’s shot from the spot-kick was saved by Xaghra’s goalie Frankie Azzopardi. On 90 minutes Xaghra increased their lead through a low shot by Adrian Xiberras following a personal action form the right flank and in the first minute of stoppage time Milorad Janjus scored the fourth goal for his side with a shot from outside the area that surprised Qala’s keeper.  Xaghra sealed the victory with the fifth goal that arrived in the second minute of stoppage time through Savio Galea who guided the ball in the net from close distance following a corner kick by Joseph Mercieca.


Referee: Vasil Vasiliev