GFA Gozo Football League Division I


12 October 2018 Gozo Stadium

Ghajnsielem FC : 0

Xuereb, J. Tabone, J. Polo Longarela, A. Oularbi, K. Mercieca, C. Hili, Al. Xuereb, A. Camilleri, N. Damba, K. Grima, L.A. De Melo Lima.

Kercem A FC: 1 (N.P. Mercadante Leite Do Canto 22’)

Vrndic, D. Cassar, A. Azzopardi, M. Hrubsa, J. Buttigieg, E. Vella, N.P. Mercadante Leite Do Canto, J. Grech, J.P. Mizzi, N. Mercieca, F.A. De Oliviera.

(Abandoned 45’)
Subscribe to GFA Notifications to get notified when this game will be played.


The first match from Match-Day four of the BOV Gozo Football League Division I lasted less than a half because the field of play was no longer fit for play due to heavy rain.  Until that time Kercem Ajax, who are still without a point after three matches were surprisingly lading over Ghajnsielem with a goal that arrived midway through the first half. Ghajnsielem, who obtained three positive results from their first three matches in the championship disappointed during the playing time of the encounter as they failed to express their territorial supremacy into good scoring opportunities.

Ghajnsielem came out more aggressive and could have opened the score in the second minute of play but an effort by Naby Damba from close distance was well blocked by Kercem’s keeper Branko Vrndic.  The Blacks kept the pressure on Kercem’s defense during the opening stages but they failed to create serious scoring opportunities. As time passed by Kercem grew in confidence and operated some dangerous breaks.  On 19 minutes the Ajax went very close to scoring through a shot by Felipe Augusto De Oliviera that ended just wide. On 21 minutes Ghajnsielem could have opened the score when Naby Damba entered the area with a personal action but Luis Andre De Melo Lima failed to connect to the inviting low cross.  Kercem surprised their more quoted opponents less than a minute later through a strike from outside the area by Neto Pedro Mercadante Leite do Canto that did not give an opportunity to the goalkeeper to block the danger.  Ghajnsielem tried to produce a reaction but Kercem continued to be well deployed also threatened Ghajnsielem’s rear guard on more than one occasion.  On 27 minutes a free kick by Luis Andre De Melo Lima was well saved by goalie Branko Vrndic. One minute later Kercem were again dangerous through a strike by Felipe Augusto De Oliveira that ended high but few minutes before half time the field at the Gozo Stadium became flooded due to heavy rain.  On 37 minutes Ghajnsielem were also reduced to ten players when Alberto Xuereb was sent off for elbowing and during the last minute of regular time before half time the referee called the two captains and postponed the encounter. After some time the same referee tested the field and decided that it was not fit for play so that the match was abandoned.

Referee: Ishmael Barbara

Subscribe to GFA Notifications to get notified when this game will be played.