GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division II

Kercem Ajax Stadium – 23 November 2018

Xaghra U FC : 1 (J. Camilleri 86’pen)

Attard, J. Bajada, K. Hili, S. Galea, J. Camilleri, S. Sultana (S. Bonello), S.R. Gabriel, M. Mamo, J. Xiberras, G. Farrugia, A. Farrugia..

Sannat L FC : 1 (J. Zammit 66’)

Mercieca, S. Mizzi, M. Portelli, N. Micallef, F. Camilleri, J. Buttigieg, J. Zammit, E.R. Okpokwu, D. Borg, E. Gauci, C. Tabone.


The direct clash between the two sides who are currently sharing the top of the table ended in a draw of two-goals so that the situation on the table remained unchanged.  With this result however both Sannat and Xaghra lost an opportunity to extend their lead over the other teams who are aiming to be challengers for promotion.

For this match the two sides had regular players missing for different reasons.  Xaghra were without the service of Sam Frank Bajada and Joseph George Vella, while Sannat had Mario Mifsud and Fabian Xuereb missing from the starting line-up.  Sannat created more scoring opportunities throughout the encounter but they were erratic in their finishing so that they were eventually punished with a later equalizer scored by Xaghra from a penalty.

Sannat held territorial supremacy for most of the first half.  On 4 minutes Sannat’s Charlon Tabone incredibly concluded wide from a good position following a cross by Ebube Ralph Okpokwu.  Xaghra replied on 12 minutes through a low shot by Samson Remi Gabriel that was saved to a corner by goalie Courtney Mercieca. On 20 minutes Xaghra’s Johnny Camilleri cleared off the line a close ranged attempt by Sannat’s Charlon Tabone and three minutes later Xaghra’s keeper Owen Attard was well placed to neutralise another effort by Charlon Tabone.  On 28 minutes Xaghra’s Samson Remi Gabriel had a good effort that was blocked by goalie Courtney Mercieca and in the following minutes Xaghra gained more confidence. On 30 minutes the same goalkeeper was well placed to save a free kick by Johnny Camilleri but two minutes later Sannat could have opened the score when the referee awarded a penalty for a foul by Jonathan Xiberras on Ebube Ralph Okpokwu.  Sannat’s striker had his shot from the spot kick that was partially saved by goalie Owen Attard and from the rebound Eric Gauci’s attempt ended away from Xaghra’s goal. On 34 minut5es Xaghra’s Samson Remi Gabriel had a good shot that was blocked by Sannat’s keeper and on 43 minutes Sannat’s Ebube Ralph Okpokwu hit badly form a good position following some hesitation by Xaghra’s rearguard to clear the danger.  The same Okpokwu went very close to open the score one minute later but Xaghra’s goalie Owen Attard blocked with difficulty to a corner the shot form a good position and the first half ended in a goalless draw.

The match became more interesting after the break.  On 47 minuets Sannat’s Ebube Ralph Okpokwu had a close ranged shot that as partially saved by goalie Owen Attard and from the rebound Charlon Tabone concluded wide and two minutes later Sannat were again dangerous but a direct free kick by Joseph Zamiit was saved by Xaghra’s keeper.  On 55 minutes Xaghra’s Johnny Camilleri entered the area form the right flank but the striker conclude wide form an ideal position and on 63 minutes Sannat’s goalie Courtney Mercieca blocked a good free kick by the same Camilleri and form the rebound Samson Remi Gabriel failed to connect with the ball so that Sannat’s defense cleared the danger with difficulty.  Sannat opened the score on 66 minutes through n excellent overhead kick by Joseph Zammit that ended out of the reach of Xaghra’s keeper.  Sannat could have doubled the score on 75 minutes but Ebube Ralph Okpokwu incredibly headed wide from close distance following a free kick by Matthew Portelli.  Xaghra saved the result on 86 minutes when the referee awarded a penalty for handling by Sannat’s Frankie Camilleri and Johnny Camilleri converted from the spot kick.  In the second minute of stoppage time Sannat went very close to regain the lead but a low shot by Joseph Zammit was well saved by goalie Owen Attard so that the two sides left the field of play with a point each.

Referee: Daniel Portelli