GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division I


Gozo Stadium – 9 December 2018

SK Victoria W : 1 (P. Dordevic 77’pen)

M.T. Towns, A.G. Attard, E. Zammit (J. Buhagiar), S.J. Obaje, P. Dordevic, S. Harland, A. Attard, M. Bamba, A. Touarha (A. Adesina), D.U. Monday, G. Cardona (R. Grech).

Gharb R  FC : 0

Spiteri, A. Sultana, J.P. Grima (P.P. Camilleri), C. Attard,.E. Batista Da Conceicao, H. Santa Rosa Cruz, D. Azzopardi, P. Nunez Del Castillo, N. Stojanovic, A. Micallef (O. Xuereb), M. Grech (M. Theuma).


In the first match from match-day seven of the BOV Gozo Football League Division I SK Victoria Wanderers earned three very important points. with a close win over Gharb Rangers so that they reduced their gap on the table from the same Gharb and Munxar Falcons to just one point.  The Wanderers created more scoring opportunities than their opponents and the victory could have been achieved at an earlier stage of the encounter. Gharb tried to take command of play but their strikers were well controlled and they only managed to go close to scoring during the dying moments of the match.  With this result the relegation tussle at the end of the first round is still considered to involve four teams.

Gharb saw more of the ball during the first part of the match but Victoria’s defense was well organised and goalie Matthew Towns was not called to make any difficult interventions.  The Wanderers on the other hand operated with effective breaks and went close to scoring on more than one occasion. On 8 minutes Moussa Bamba had two consecutive attempts form close distance following a corner kick by Aaron Touarha that were blocked on the fatal line by Gharb’s defenders.  Two minutes later Gharb’s keeper Daniel Spiteri left his position in time to take the ball before Aud-gustine James Obaje who was released by Sam Harland. On 13 minutes a shot by Victoria’s Predrag Dordevic missed the target and on 24 minutes the same Dordevic had a shot following a free kick that got a deflection by Gharb’s defense and the ball ended away from goal.  On 26 minutes Victoria lost a good scoring opportunity when a corner kick by Anthony George Attard was cleared badly by goalie Daniel Spiteri but Aud-gustine James Obaje headed incredibly high from close distance. On the half hour mark Victoria’s striker Obaje entered Gharb’s area with a personal action but the goalkeeper saved the danger. Gharb’s best scoring opportunity of the first half arrived on 39 minutes through a strike by Daniel Azzopardi that the first half ended in a goalless draw.

The Wanderers continued to be more dangerous in their play after the break.  On 48 minutes a shot by Predrag Dordevic ended just wide and on 54 minutes Gharb’s keeper Daniel Spiteri made a difficult intervention to save a header by Moussa Bamba following a corner kick by Anthony George Attard.  The same keeper was again called to make an important intervention on 69 minutes when he left his position to take the ball before Victoria’s Sam Harland could conclude form an ideal position and one minute later goalie Spiteri neutralized a close ranged header by the same Harland.  Victoria were again dangerous on 73 minutes through a shot by Aud-gustine James Obaje that ended just wide and three minutes later Gharb replied with a strike form outside the area by Nemanja Stojanovic that missed the target. On 77 minutes the Wanderers were awarded a penalty when Aud-gustine James Obaje ended on the floor in the area following a challenge by Pedro Nunez Del Castillo and Anthony Sultana so that skipper Predrag Dordevic converted from the spot kick and scored the goal that at the end decided the issue.  Victoria could have added another goal on 83 minutes but Sam Harland’s shot from a good position was weak and the goalkeeper neutralized the danger.  Gharb pushed more men forward during the final stages and went very close to save the result. On 87 minutes a header by Nemanja Stojanovic following a free kick by Hugo Santa Rosa Cruz ended just high and in the fourth minute of stoppage time Victoria’s defense saved the resultant with difficulty following a prolonged action.  Victoria’s goalie Matthew Towns partially saved a strike by Nemanja Stojanovic, Victoria’s defender Anthony George Attard cleared the ball from the goalmouth to deny Christian Attard and substitute Pierre Paul Camilleri from concluding into an open goal; and form the resultant clearance Christian Attard crossed from the right flank but Victoria’s goalie cleared off the line with difficulty a deflection by Victoria’s defender Moussa Bamba who hit badly following pressure from Battista Da Conceicao and the defense cleared definitely the ball from the area with some difficulty.

Referee: Philip Farrugia


Stay updated with the latest news, match reports and fixtures from the GFA by subscribing to GFA Push notifications.