GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division II


Kercem Ajax Stadium -8 December 2018

Oratory Y FC : 2 (F. Cini 5’pen, K. Grima 87’)

N. Camilleri, J. Azzopardi, E. Buttigieg, K. Grima, K. Farrugia, P. Said (G. Attard), F. Cini, G. Micallef (S. Curmi), S. Azzopardi, A.T. Bezzina, O. Saliba (J. Attard).

Zebbug R  FC : 0

B. Saliba, M. Ciangura, M. Formosa, G. Portelli, L. Meilaq (J. Azzopardi), A. Zammit, L. Farrugia, M. Peres Vega, J. Grech, R. Meilak, E. Xuereb.


In the last match from Match-Day 7 of the BOV Gozo Football League Division II Oratory Youths earned three precious points from a 2-0 win over bottom placed Zebbug Rovers so that they re-joined the top teams on the table in the challenge for promotion.  The victory for Oratory matured with a goal scored during the opening stages and a second goal that arrived near the end of the encounter. Overall, the victory for the Youths was deserved ads they created more scoring opportunities. Zebbug struggled for most of the encounter but failed to produce dangerous actions towards Oratory’s goalie so that they found it extremely difficult to earn a positive result from this match.

Oratory had an encouraging start in the match and opened the score in the fifth minute of play when the referee were awarded a penalty for handling by Elijah Xuereb following a cross by Samuel Azzopardi and Francesco Cini converted from the spot kick..  Zebbug replied with a good move in the tenth minute through a header by Marcos Peres Vega that ended just high and on 22 minutes Zebbug’s goalie Baskal Saliba was called to save in two attempts a cross shot by Oratory’s Paul Said.  For most of the time during the first period play took place in the midfield where the two sides showed some limitations in attack. The best scoring opportunity before the break arrived from Oratory ob 38 minutes through a strike by George Micallef that ended wide.

Zebbug tried to produce a reaction after the break and on 46 minutes a shot by Luke Meilaq ended inches away from Oratory’s goal.  On 54 minutes a header by Marcos Peres Vega was easily saved by goalie Nathan Camilleri and two minutes later the same Peres Vega had a shot from outside the area following a personal action that missed the target.  On 62 minutes Zebbug could have threatened more Oratory’s rear guard when Luke Meilaq entered the area but from his action a shot on the run by Elijah Xuereb missed the target. Oratory replied three minutes later through a shot by Kersten Grima form a good position that missed the target and on 70 minutes Oratory’s Francesco Cini went close to scoring but his strike from outside the area ended just over the crossbar.  Five minutes later Oratory were again dangerous through a header by Aleandro Bezzina following a corner kick by Francesco Cini that ended just high and on 79 minutes Oratory’s Kersten Grima came face to face with Zebbug’s goalie but his attempt ended on the side of the net. The same Grima could have scored the second goal for Oratory one minute later when he entered the area, avoided the attempt of the goalkeeper but his low drive was stopped by the base of the post. On 83 minutes Zebbug’s goalie left his position in time to clear the ball into a throw-in as Oratory’s Aleandro Bezzina entered Zebbug’s territory with a personal action.  Zebbug had their best opportunity to save the result on 86 minutes but a lob by Ryan Meilak missed the target. One minute later the Youths doubled the score when Francesco Cini released Kersten Grima in a counter break and the latter netted with a low shot.  The same Grima could have added another goal in the second minute of stoppage time but a lob over Zebbug’s goalie from a good position ended wide.

Referee: Andrew Sammut