GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division II


Kercem Ajax Stadium –  22 December 2018

St Lawrence S FC : 0

Brignoli, R. Zammit (A. Xiberras), C. Mercieca, S. Sultana, M. Fagbeja, C. Cauchi,  C. Azzopardi, J. Grima, C. Farrugia, L. Buttigieg, M. Zerafa (L. Attard).

Zebbug R FC : 1 (L. Meilak 87’)

Saliba, M. Ciangura, M. Formosa, O. Calleja, L. Meilak, L. Farrugia, M. Peres Vega, J. Grech, J. Azzopardi, E. Xuereb (M. Borg), C. Farrugia.


Zebbug Rovers returned to winning ways after seven consecutive disappointing results in the campaign in the match against St Lawrence Spurs.  With this result the Rovers earned three precious points and reduced their gap from the dame St Lawrence on the table so that they re-opened their chances to avoid the bottom place on the table by the end of the campaign.  St Lawrence were aiming to obtain a win form this match in an attempt to keep close to the top positions but they found it very difficult to impose superiority over Zebbug and also failed to capitalize from their scoring opportunities.  |In the other hand the Rovers were determined to obtain a positive result and shared play with their opponents throughout the encounter so that their efforts were rewarded with a goal that arrived three minutes away from the end of regular time.

During the first part of the match play took place mainly in the midfield as the two defensive departments were in control of the respective strikers.  The first serious scoring opportunity arrived from St Lawrence on 21 minutes but a header by debutant Muda Fagbeja following a cross by Charlon Farrugia ended wide.  The Rovers replied four minutes later when goalie Angelo Brignoli partially saved a cross by Lucas Farrugia and from the resultant melee Marco Ciangura’s attempt was cleared off the line by defender Christian Azzopardi.  On 28 minutes The Spurs could have opened the score but Muda Fagbejda incredibly concluded weak from an ideal position following a cross by Christopher Cauchi and Zebbug’s goalie Baskal Saliba saved without difficulty. The Rovers had another good scoring opportunity on 41 minutes but a low shot from outside the area by Marcos Peres Vega got a deflection by the defence and the action ended in a corner.  On 44 minutes Zebbug’s goalie Baskal Saliba as well placed to block a close ranged attempt by Reuben Zammit so that the first half ended in a goalless draw.

The Spurs tried to take command of place at the early stages of the second period and on 47 minutes Zebbug’s defenc0e cleared badly a low cross by Charlon Farrugia but substitute Adrian Xiberras had his attempt form close distance that was blocked to a corner.  On 59 minutes St Lawrence’s goalie Angelo Brignoli was called to make a difficult save to turn to a corner a direct free kick by Marcos Peres Vega and four minutes later the Rovers were very unlucky when a strike by Joston Azzopardi was stopped by the crossbar. Zebbug grew in confidence and on 70 minutes a header by Lucas Farrugia following a cross by Johnny Grech was saved with difficulty by goalie Angelo Brignoli.  One minute later St Lawrence operated a dangerous counter break through Charlon Farrugia who entered the area but his low drive aimed to the far post ended inches wide. The Spurs went again close to scoring on 80 minutes but a low shot by Muda Fagbejda from a good position was well saved by Zebbug’s keeper Baskal Saliba and less than a minute later Louis Buttigieg hit badly from close distance within Zebbug’s area so that the ball ended wide.  The Spurs were punished for these two missed chances and Zebbug clinched the victory with a goal that arrived on 87 minutes when St Lawrence’s defence failed to clear an initiative by substitute Matthew Borg and the ball arrived to an unmarked Luke Meilak who concluded in goal with a low shot.

Referee: Eucharist Portelli

Stay updated with the latest news, match reports and fixtures from the GFA by subscribing to GFA Push notifications.