GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division I

Gozo Stadium – 24 March 2019

Nadur Y FC : 1 (M.J. Barbosa 68’ pen)

Vella, T. Souza D Silveira, D. Farrugia, I. Xuereb, J. De Assis, M.J. Barbosa, D.M. Bustos, Sh. Attard, J. Buttigieg, M.P. Camilleri, J. Parnis.

SK Victoria W : 0

M.T. Towns, E. Bugeja, J.W. Meilak (G. Cardona), A.J. Obaje, P. Dordevic, E. Zammit, M. Bamba, A. Touarha, R. Grech (N. Camilleri), D.U. Monday, A. Adesina.


Nadur Youngsters earned the full points at stake from their match against SK Victoria Wanderers with a 1-0 win that matured from a penalty converted midway through the second period.  This was the second match between the two sides in the space of four days. In the previous match, which was the semi-final of the KO competition, Nadur only managed to obtain the qualification with a win that arrived during extra time.  In this match Nadur once again found it extremely difficult to capitalise from their superiority over the relegation strugglers and risked that they could compromise the possibility to extend their challenge to the current leaders on the table.  With this win Nadur therefore retained their pressure on the hot favourites for the title Victoria Hotspurs at this final stage of the championship.

For this match the two side had some regular players missing due to suspensions.  Nadur were without central defender Luke Tabone, while the Wanderers had Nicholas Vella, Sam Harland and Anthony George Attard missing from the player’s list.  The Wanderers almost surprised Nadur in the second minute of play when a free kick by Audgustine James Obaje ended on the crossbar with the goalkeeper beaten and from the rebound James William Meilak’s header was weak and easily neutralised by goalie Franklin Vella.  Nadur replied on 4 minutes through a shot by Shaun Attard following a free kick by Marcelo Barbodsa that ended on the side of the net and On 12 minutes Marcelo Barbosa exchanged the ball with Shaun Attard but the Brazilian striker sae his attempt ending wide.  The same Barbosa had a good shot on 16 minutes following a personal action that ended high and two minutes later a free kick by Tiago Souza De Silveira ended high.

The wanderers threatened Nadur’s rear guard on 21 minutes from a free kick by Predrag Dordevic but the ball hit the side of the net and on 26 minutes Victoria’s goalie Matthew Towns was well placed to save a shot by Daniel Mateo Bustos.  Nadur tried to increase their pressure on Victoria’s defence and on the half hour mark a shot by Jefferson De Assis from a good position ended high. One minute later the same De Assis failed to conclude towards goal from close distance so that the goalkeeper recovered his position and saved the danger.  On 35 minutes a free kick by Nadur’s Daniel Mateo Bustos ended high and one minute later goalie Matthew Towns saved to a corner with difficulty a low shot by Shaun Attard. The same Attard had another attempt on 40 minutes that was neutralised by Victoria’s keeper and on minute alter the Wanderers replied through a long ranged shot by Predrag Dordevic when the goalkeeper was out of his position but the ball ended high.  In the second minute of stoppage time before half time Nadur could have opened the score but a free kick by Tiago Souza De Silveira was saved with difficulty to a corner by goalie Matthew Towns.

Nadur continued to hold command of play after the break and on 50 minutes Marcelo Barbosa entered Victoria’s area with a personal action but his attempt ended away from goal.  One minute later Victoria’s Audgustine James Obaje had a cross shot that ended on the roof of the net and on 63 minutes Nadur’s Marcelo Barbosa had an overhead kick following a short clearance by Victoria’s defence that ended wide.  The same Barbosa had another effort on 64 minutes following a short corner action that ended away from Victoria’s goal and on 67 minutes Victoria’s keeper Matthew Towns blocked a strike by Shaun Attard and from the resultant action Victoria’s defence failed to clear the ball from the area so that Marcelo Barbosa took the ball and was floored inside the area by Predrag Dordevic so that the referee awarded a penalty and the Brazilian striker converted form the spot kick.  Nadur tried to maintain their momentum and on 75 minutes a cross shot by Jordi Parnis was saved to a corner by goalie Matthew Towns and from the same corner action an attempt by Tiago Souza De Silveira ended wide.  The Wanderers went close to level the score on 77 minutes but a header by Moussa Bamba following a cross by substitute Gabriel Cardona was saved to a corner by goalie Franklin Vella. On 854 minutes Nadur were again dangerous through a header by Shjaun Attard following a cross by Jordi parenis that was well saved by Victoria’s keeper Matthew Towns and on 89 minutes Nadur had Daniel Mateo Bustos sent off by the referee for retaliation on Audgustine James Obaje.  Victoria had their last possibility to save the result in the second minu8te of stoppage time but a free kick by Eman Bugeja ended high.

Referee: Sandro Spiteri

Stay updated with the latest news, match reports and fixtures from the GFA by subscribing to GFA Push notifications.