GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division II
Kercem Ajax Stadium

Xaghra U : 1 (J. Mercieca 57’)

F. Azzopardi, M. Galea, S. Bonello, A. Xiberras, J. Xerri, J. Mercieca, M. Grima (O. Pogukay), G. Farrugia, J. Bajada, M. Glodi (E. Xiberras), L. Attard (S. Sultana).

Qala S : 2 (M. Cefai 58’, J. Mifsud 90+1’)

L. Xuereb, F. Mumford, G. Sillato, J. Rapa, S. Sillato, M. Pace, C. Portelli, M. Cefai (J. Attard), B. Sammut (C. Caruana), M. Mumford, J. Mifsud..

In the first match from Match-Day 7 of the campaign Qala Saints obtained their first win in the league.  This was match between the two sides occupying the last two places on the table.  As a result the two sides were aiming to win this match in an attempt to earn a better place on the table.  Xaghra needed a positive result in an attempt to defend their lead over Qala on the table, but they failed to defend the 1-1 draw until the end of the encounter so that they ended up conceding the fifth consecutive defeat in the campaign.  Qala managed to clinch the victory with a goal that arrived in the first minute of stoppage time and with the points obtained the Maroons moved away from the bottom place on the table at the expense of the same Xaghra.

Xaghra were more aggressive during the opening stages and could have scored an early goal on at least two occasions.  On 7 minutes Xaghra’s Luke Attard unmarked Johann Bajada inside Qala’s but the latter had his shot on the run that was stopped by the crossbar.  On 12 minutes the same Johann Bajada entered Qala’s area but his low shot hit the base of the post with the goalkeeper beaten.  As time passed by Qala started to share more play but the two defensive departments were well deployed and prevailed over the respective strikers.  On 34 minutes Xaghra were again dangerous but a shot by Daniel Glodi was neutralised by Qala’s keeper Lorjean Xuereb.  Qala had their best scoring opportunity of the first half three minutes later through a direct corner kick by Michael Mumford that was turned to another corner by Xaghra’s keeper Frankie Azzopardi.  On 41 minutes Xaghra almost opened the score when Luke Attard entered the area from the right flank but his attempt was deflected by goalie Lorjean Xuereb on the post.

Play continued to be balanced after the break.  On 56 minutes a goal by Qala’s Gabriel Sillato following a free kick by Michael Mumford was disallowed for an offside infringement.  Xaghra opened the score one minute later through a striker form outside the area by Joseph Mercieca after receiving from Gabriel Farrugia, that ended out of the reach of Qala’s keeper.  Qala had an immediate reaction and on 58 minutes they levelled the score.  A shot on the run by Michael Mumford was blocked to a corner by the defence and from the same corner kick by Mumford, Malcolm Cefai concluded in goal from close distance.  Minutes later Xaghra’s Daniel Glodi failed to conclude when he was face to face with the goalkeeper as the latter managed to block the danger with a fine intervention.  Play continued to take play in the midfield for most of the time but during the final stages the two sides increased their efforts in an attempt to win the full points at stake.  On 88 minutes Qala’s keeper Lorjean Xuereb made another good save to deny Xaghra’s Daniel Glodi from scoring.  Qala scored the decisive goal in the first minute of stoppage time through a shot from close distance by Jake Mifsud following a cross from the right flank by substitute Joseph Attard that surprised Xaghra’s rearguard.

Referee: Joe Agius