GFA Gozo Football League Division II
Kercem Ajax Stadium


Qala S : 1 (M. Niakate 11’)

F. Buttigieg, J. Attard, J. Buttigieg, F. Mumford, S. Sillato, B. Sammut, M. Cefai, M. Mumford, J. Mifsud, C. Xuereb (S. Spiteri), M. Niakate.

Sannat L : 3 (O. Farrugia 45+1’, F. Kosova 78’, 85’)

O. Attard, J. Buttigieg, F. Camilleri, J. Agius, F. Xuereb, M. Portelli (E. Gauci), J. Bonnici, M. Muscat, O. Farrugia (J. Zammit), A. Camilleri, F. Kosova (S. Curmi).


In the first match from the third round of the campaign Sannat Lions turned a defeat into a victory and with the points obtained they took command of the table although their rivals have a game in hand.  Sannat’s was hard-earned as Qala were in contention for more than an hour of play.  The Maroons scored an early goal and resisted to Sannat’s reaction until the last minute of the first half.  Sannat created many more scoring opportunities than their opponents but only managed to clinch the victory through a brace by Franci Kosova that arrived during the final stages of the encounter.

Sannat tried to take command of play from the very beginning but Qala were well deployed at their defence and kept their area clear form danger.  The Maroons operated mainly with counter breaks and opened the score on 11 minutes when Modibo Niakate entered Sannat’s territory with a personal action from the left flank and as he entered the area he fired in goal from an angled position.  One minute later Sannat could have levelled the score when Franci Kosova entered Qala’s area following a fast break but his attempt was well saved by goalie Franco Buttigieg. On 16 minutes Sannat were again dangerous through a shot by Antoine Camilleri that was well saved by Qala’s keeper and the same goalkeeper was called to make a good intervention to save to a corner a free kick by Matthew Portelli.  On 33 minutes Sannat were unlucky when a strike by Josiah Buttigieg was stopped by the crossbar.  Sannat kept insisting and two minutes later a header by Antoine Camilleri following a cross by Franci Kosova ended just wide.  On 44 minutes Qala’s goalie Franco Buttigieg was once again at the right place to block a low shot by Frankie Camilleri and in the first minute of stoppage time before half time Sannat levelled the score through a first timer form close distance by Oliver Farrugia following a cross by Antoine Camilleri.

Play became more interesting during the first part of the second period as Sannat tried to increase pressure on Qala’s defence while the Maroons operated dangerous breaks.  On 54 minutes Sannat’s Antoine Camilleri could have concluded better when he was alone in Qala’s area and his low shot was blocked by goalie Franco Buttigieg.  Qala replied on 59 minutes through a good shot by Michael Munford that was saved by goalie Owen Attard and the same goalkeeper was again called to block two consecutive attempts by the same Mumford on 66 minutes.  As time passed by Sannat took command of the midfield and increased their pressure on Qala’s defence.  Sannat turned the result in their favour on 78 minutes when Antoine Camilleri arrived on the ball before Qala’s goalie within the area and from his short pass Franci Kosova netted with a low drive towards the far post.  Qala’s reaction was sterile and on 85 minutes Sannat practically sealed the victory by scoring the third goal through a fine curling shot by Franci Kosova following a personal action.  Two minutes later Sannat went very close to score the fourth goal when Antoine Camilleri passed around two defenders inside Qala’s area but his low shot got a deflection and the ball ended just wide.