GFA Gozo Football League Division II
Kercem Ajax Stadium

Qala S : 1 (M. Mumford 23’)

F. Buttigieg (O. Xuereb), S. Sillato, J. Buttigieg, M. Cefai (S. Spiteri), J. Attard, M. Niakate, M. Mumford, J. Mifsud, B. Sammut (M. Buttigieg), F. Mumford, C. Xuereb.

Xaghra U : 5 (J. Milorad 45’, 57’; A. Xiberras 64’, 90+1’; G. Farrugia 85’)

F. Azzopardi, F. Cauchi (J. Formosa), M. Galea, S. Galea, D. Bajada, J.Bajada (P.J. Mifsud), S. Bonello, A. Xiberras, C. Hili (E. Xiberras), J. Milorad, G. Farrugia.


In the first match from match-day twelve of the BOV Gozo Football League Division II Xaghra United obtained a victory after ten matches where they only obtain two positive results when they defeated Qala Saints and with the points obtained they moved away from the bottom of the table.  This match was actually a direct clash between the two sides who were occupying the last two places on the table.  Before this mach Qala had a one point lead over Xaghra and were aiming to obtain a victory to consolidate their position.  However, Xaghra were determined to make up for a long disappointing period and turned the result in their favour with goals scored during the second half.  In the two matches between the two sides of the first two rounds of the campaign Qala and Xaghra won a match each.

Qala saw more of the ball during the opening stages but they rarely created serious danger towards Xaghra’s goal.  The Maroons however took a deserved lead on 23 minutes when Chrismar Xuereb released Michael Mumford who fired in goal with the ball hitting the crossbar before ending in goal.  Qala continued to enjoy territorial supremacy for most for the first period but as time passed by Xaghra shared play in the midfield sand scored the equaliser on 45 minutes through a low shot by Janjus Milorad that surprised goalie Franco Buttigieg.

Xaghra gained confidence from the beginning of the second half and on 57 minutes they took the lead through a header by Janjus Milorad following a corner kick by Gabriel Farrugia.  Qala replied two minutes later through a low shot by Jake Mifsud that ended just wide and on 64 minutes Xaghra increased their lead with a low shot by Adrian Xiberras who was unmarked inside Qala’s area.  Qala could have re-opened the issue on 71 minutes but a free kick by Michael Mumford ended wide.  The Maroons increased their efforts and on 78 minutes Xaghra’s keeper Frankie Azzopardi saved with difficulty to a corner a direct free kick by Michael Mumford and minutes later the same keeper managed to save also a low shot by Modibo Niakate.  On 85 minutes Xaghra added another goal when Qala’s defence cleared badly a cross from the right flank by Silvan Bonello and Gabriel Farrugia fired in goal with a shot on the run from outside the area that ended out of the reach of substitute goalkeeper Omar Xuereb.  In the first minute of stoppage time Xaghra scored their fifth goal when Qala’s keeper Omar Xuereb failed to clear a cross by David Bajada and Adrian Xiberras took advantage and placed easily into an open goal.

Referee: Jason Portelli