GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division I
Gozo Stadium

Ghajnsielem FC : 3 (L.A. De Melo Lima 16’, M.A. Morgon Filho 33’, K. Merceica 37’)

J. Grech, I. Belhadj (N. Belhadj), D. Mercieca, L.A De Melo Lima, K. Mercieca, W. Hili, A. Oularbi, D. Hili (C. Dingli), A. Xuereb, M.A. Morgon Filho (D. Atzori), J.J. Sandobal Guarin.

Oratory Y : 1 (A. Bezzina 66’)

R. Sammut, D. Azzopardi, J. Polo Longarela, M. Buttigieg, K. Farrugia (J. Buttigieg), J. Attard, A. Bezzina (C. Mercieca), G.B. Mfulwane, R. Ebube Okpokwu, S. Mbacke, S. Azzopardi (K. Grima).

Ghajnsielem obtained a 3-1 win over bottom placed Oratory Youths and with the points obtained the Blacks moved to the fourth place on the table and became mathematically sure of retaining their place in the top flight next season.  With this result the Youths remained at the bottom place on the table and in serious relegation trouble.  In this match Ghajnsielem opened a three goal lead during the first half but after the break they were forced to defend as the Youths produced a determined reaction in an attempt to save the result.

During the opening minutes of the match the two sides tried to take command of play and to score an early goal.  On 15 minutes Oratory’s Ralph Ebube Okpokwu entered Ghajnsielem’s area with a personal action but his shot ended high.  Ghajnsielem opened the score on 16 minutes when Luis Andre De Melo Lima produced a personal action and fired in goal with a shot from an angled position.  One minute later Oratory’s keeper was called to make a good save to turn to a corner a shot by Ghajnsielem’s Marco Antonio Morgon Filho.  The Youths replied on 29 minutes through a header by Gibson Botshelo Mfulwane following a cross by Johann Attard that was saved on the fatal line by Ghajnsielem’s goalie Joseph Grech and the defence cleared the danger from the area with some difficulty.  On 33 minutes Ghajnsielem produced an effective move by Damon Hili on the left flank and from his cross Marco Antonio Morgon Filho came from behind the defence and netted with a low shot.  Oratory were demoralised and on 37 minutes Ghajnsielem added another goal through a header by Kenneth Mercieca following a cross by Marco Antonio Morgon Filho.

Oratory came out determined to re-open the issue after the break and on 58 minutes a shot by Joshua Buttigieg was saved by goalie Joseph Grech.  On 62 minutes Ghajnsielem’s defence blocked a good attempt by Gibson Botshelo Mfulwane.  Two minutes later Ghajnsielem’s keeper was again called to make a good save following a shot by Ralph Ebube Okpokwu and on 66 minutes the Youths reduced the deficit when Aleandro Bezzina took the ball just outside the area, avoid the tackle of his direct opponent and netted with a fine shot.  Oratory increased their efforts and on 70 minutes a shot from long distance by Manuel Buttigieg ended high.  The Youths were again dangerous on 78 minutes when Gibson Botshelo Mfulwane entered Ghajnsielem’s territory with a fast break, turned around the goalkeeper just outside the area but his shot aimed towards an open goal ended wide.  On 80 minutes a half volley by Oratory’s Joshua Buttigieg was stopped by the post with the goalkeeper beaten and four minutes later the Youths could have scored another goal but Ralph Ebube Okpokwu hit badly from a melee in front of Ghajnsielem’s goalmouth  and at the end goalie Joseph Grech saved all the danger.  During the final stages Oratory increased their efforts and on 85 minutes a free kick by Javier Polo Longarela from long distance was saved by Ghajnsielem’s goalie with the aid of the crossbar and three minutes later the same goalkeeper saved in two attempts a shot by Josua Buttigieg.  Oratory’s last scoring opportunity of the match arrived in the first minute of stoppage time through Seck Mbacke who saw his effort ending wide.

Referee: Ray Tabone