GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division I
Gozo Stadium

Victoria H : 3 (E. Lattes 41’, C. Camilleri 44’, H. Maciel 64’)

A. Parnis, J. Pace (J. Tabone), K. Farrugia, D. Sowatey, F. Apap, C. Mercieca (A. Debrincat), E. Lattes, E. Da Silva, H. Maciel, C. Camilleri, J. Bajada (L. Grima).

Nadur Y : 1 (D. Dos Santos 6’)

M. Muscat, D. Farrugia, D. Krstic (J.O. Attard), Sh. Attard, J. Buttigieg, B. Said, C. Abela, Sa. Attard, D. Dos Santos, R. Da Silva, N. Stojanovic (P.P. Camilleri).

In the last match of the 2017/2018 BOV Gozo Football League championship Victoria Hotspurs, who were mathematically champions for the previous four match-days, ended a memorable season with a 3-1 over runners-up Nadur Youngsters.  This result confirmed the supremacy that Victoria Hotspurs expressed throughout the championship as it was the 19th win from 21 matches.  The Hotspurs only dropped points in two matches so that they ended the championship with an impressive 18 point lead over second placed Nadur.  Victoria’s title was not only deserved in terms of the lead in points over their rivals or by the number of wins but they also expressed a solid team with a strong defence that conceded only 15 goal and scored 63 goals, a rate of 3 goals per match.  Victoria Hotspurs are therefore worthy champions of Gozitan football for the 12th time in their history, and marked their success by becoming the team who won most titles in Gozitan football.

Nadur surprised the new champions during the opening minutes and took the lead on 6 minutes through a low shot by Dewide Dos Santos that surprised goalie Adrian Parnis.  The Hotspurs however recovered from the early shock and on 13 minutes they went close to scoring through a shot by Elton Da Silva that ended high.  On 35 minutes Nadur replied with a header by Brandon Said from a good position following a cross by Dewide Dos Santos ended wide.  Three minutes later Nadur’s central defender Ronaldo Da Silva avoided an own goal when he cleared from the goalmouth a header by Nadur’s central defender Saviour Attard aimed towards the goalkeeper.  On 39 minutes the Hotspurs were again dangerous through a shot by Elton Da Silva following an action by Henrique Maciel that ended wide.  The new champions levelled the score on 41 minutes when Emiliano Lattes received a ball just outside the area and his shot ended in goal despite the attempt by the goalkeeper to neutralise the danger.  On 43 minutes a shot by Chris Camilleri from an angled position ended on the side of the net.  The Hotspurs turned the result in their favour on 44 minutes through a shot on the run by Chris Camilleri following a cross by Henrique Maciel.  Seconds before half time Victoria’s Emiliano Lattes had a good shot that was well saved by goalie Matthew Muscat.

In the fifth minute of play of the second period Ndur ended with a player less on the field as Shaun Attard was sent off for a second bookable offence following a foul on Henrique Maciel.  The Hotspurs took advantage of the extra player on the field and on 64 minutes they added another goal through a header on the run by Henrique Maciel following a cross by Christian Mercieca.  The Hotspurs continued to produce dangerous actions within Nadur’s territory and on 67 minutes an attempt by Elton Da Silva was well saved by goalie Matthew Muscat.  Nadur could have reduced the deficit on 74 minutes but Brandon Said’s low shot following a personal action ended just wide.  On 75 minutes Nadur’s keeper Matthew Muscat was well placed to block a shot by Chris Camilleri who entered the area following a personal action.  One minute later the same goalkeeper made a difficult intervention to save to a corner an effort by substitute Andrea Debrincat following a corner action and on 42 minutes the Hotspurs were unlucky when a header by Ferdinando Apap was stopped by the crossbar.

At he end of the match Victoria’s players, officials and supporters started the celebrations for the title won this season.  The celebrations continued during the official presentation of medals and trophies by Mr Horace Laudi, Regional Manager of the Bank of Valletta, the President of the Gozo Football Association Dr Samuel Azzopardi in the presence of other GFA officials, and were prolong to the late hours at the club’s premises in Victoria.

Referee: Andrea Sciriha