GFA Gozo Football League Division II


Kercem Ajax Stadium –  15 September 2018

Qala S  FC: 2 (F. Attard 57’, B.G. Mfuluane 62’)

Buttigieg, S. Sillato, C. Gafa, F. Mumford (F. Attard), A. Tramboo (J. Rapa), M.P. Mumford, R. Grima, E. Cordina (M. Buttigieg), G.B. Mfuluane, C. Portelli, O. Farrugia.

Sannat L FC: 4 (J. Zammit 29’, E.R. Okpokwu 32’, 58; E. Gauci 55’)

Mercieca, S. Mizzi, N. Micallef, F. Camilleri, J. Buttigieg, J. Zammit, E.R. Okpokwu, E. Gauci (K. Bonnici), M. Mifsud (D. Borg), C. Tabone (I. mampalao), F.J. Xuereb.


In the opening match of the GFA Gozo Football League Division II campaign Sannat Lions confirmed their ambitions to be among the challengers for promotion and earned three points from a deserved win over Qala Saints.  Sannat seemed in a better shape and although Qala struggled to remain in contention, the Maroons never seemed in a position to obtain a positive result.

Sannat went very close to open the score on 14 minutes but an attempt by Charlon Tabone was cleared off the fatal line by Francisco Mumford with the goalkeeper beaten.  One minute later Sannat’s goalie Courtney Mercieca was well placed to turn to a corner an shot by Botshelo Gibson Mfuluane. On 16 minutes Qala lost a golden scoring opportunity when Manwel Cordina came face to face with Sannat’s goalie but the striker concluded badly from an ideal position and the ball ended away from goal.  Sannat replied on 21 minutes through a shot by Charlon Tabone that ended high but on 29 minutes Sannat opened the score when Joseph Zammit passed through Qala’s defense with a personal action, avoided two direct opponents and fired in goal with an excellent shot.  On 32 minutes Sannat doubled the score through Ebube Ralph Okpokwu who entered the area with a personal action and placed in goal with a low drive.  Qala’s best opportunity for Qala to re-open the issue arrived on 39 minutes but a header by Botshelo Gibson Mfuluane following a free kick by Michael Mumford ended just high.

In the second minute of play of the second period Sannat’s Mario Mifsud had a good strike from outside the area that ended just wide and on 54 minutes Sannat were again dangerous but an attempt by Charlon Tabone from a good position ended away from goal.  One minute later Sannat scored their third goal when Ebube Ralph Okpokwu unmarked Eric Gauci who entered the area and placed in goal with a low shot.  On 57 minutes Qala reduced the deficit through a header by substitute Frank Attard following a cross by Oliver Farrugia that surprised Sannat’s keeper.  However, less than a minute later Sannat re-established the three-0goal lead when a cross shot by Joseph Zammit was partially saved by Qala’s goalie Franco Buttigieg so that Ebube Ralph Okpokwu took the ball and netted from close distance.  On 62minutes Qala scored their second goal directly from a free kick by Botshelo Gibson Mfuluane.  The same striker could have reduced the deficit to just one goal on 65 minutes but his shot form a good position ended wide.  Sannat also went close to scoring on 66 minute through a shot by Ebube Ralph Okpokwu that was blocked by the defense and on 75 minutes Qala once again threatened Sannat’s rearguard but a header by Botshelo Gibson Mfuluane form a free kick by Michael Munford ended just over the crossbar.

Referee: Ryan Caruana