GFA BOV Gozo Football League Division


Gozo Stadium – 16 December 2018

Ghajnsielem FC : 2 (A. Camilleri 66’, L.A. De Melo Lima 94’pen)

Xuereb, J. Tabone, N. Damba, K. Mercieca, D. Hili, Al. Xuereb, An. Xuereb (A. Camilleri), D. Mercieca, K. Grima, A. Oularbi, L.A. De Melo Lima.

Nadur  Y FC : 3 (Y. DJ. Messias 39’pen., 67’; M. Barbosa 76’)

Vella, L.B. Da Silva, T. Souza Da Silveira, C. Abela, D. Farrugia, I. Xuereb, M.J. Barbosa, Sh. Attard, J. Buttigieg, J. Parnis (L. Tabone), Y. DJ. Messias.


Nadur Youngsters retained their pressure on the leaders with a 3-2 win over Ghajnsielem in the last match of the first round of the championship.  Nadur found it difficult to keep control of play as Ghajnsielem shared play for most of the encounter and seemed determined to obtain a positive result after a series of disappointing performances.  In this match Nadur confirmed their strong potential in attack as they managed to build a lead during crucial moments by being very effective in their finishing from their few actions on Ghajnsielem’s goal.

The Blacks had a better start and seemed more adventurous in their play than their opponents.  On 7 minutes an attempt by Naby Damba ended wide and on 14 minutes the same striker entered Nadur’s area from the right flank but his lob over the goalkeeper ended over the crossbar.  Nadur replied two minutes later through a free kick by Yuri De Jesus Messias that hit the woodwork and on 21 minutes a header by Nadur’s Marcelo Barbosa from a cross by Jordi Parnis ended wide.  Play for most of the first half took place in the midfield as the two defensive departments managed to neutralise the efforts of the respective strikers. However, on 39 mints Nadur were awarded a penalty for a foul by Dylan Mercieca on Ian Xuereb and Yuri De Jesus Messias opened the score with his shot form the spot kick so that the first half ended with Nadur in the lead.

After the resumption Ghajnsielem tried to produce a reaction and on 46 minutes Luis Andre De Melo Lima entered Nadur’s area but his lob over the goalkeeper missed the target and the defence cleared the danger.  Nadur’s keeper Franklin Vella was called to make an important intervention on 58 minutes when he left his position in time to deny Luis Andre De Melo Lima from hitting towards goal as he was released by Naby Damba.  On the hour mark Nadur should have doubled the score but an effort from a good position by Marcelo Barbosa ended wide. Ghajnsielem levelled the score on 66 minutes when Nadur’s keeper partially saved a free kick by Ali Oularbi and from the resultant melee substitute Antoine Camilleri fired in goal with the ball hitting the crossbar before crossing the line.  Nadur had an immediate reaction and regained the lead one minute alter with a fine strike from outside the area by Yuri De Jesuis Messias that surprised Ghajnsielem’s defence.  The Blacks seemed demoralised at this stage while Nadur gained confidence and on 76 minutes the Youngsters increased their lead when Yuri De Jesus Messias released Marcelo Barbosa inside Ghajsielem’s area and the latter concluded in goal despite the attempt of the goalkeeper to block the danger.  Minutes later Nadur went also close to add another goal but a good shot by Yuri De Jesus Messias form close distance was well saved by goalie Lorjean Xuereb.  Ghajnsielem re-opened the issue on 84 minutes when the referee awarded a penalty for handling by Josef Buttigieg following a shot by Kenneth Mercieca and Luis Andre De Melo Lima converted from the spot kick.  The Blacks increased their efforts during the dying moments in an effort to save the result but Nadur managed to resist to Ghajnsielem’s pressure and retained their one-goal lead until the end of the match.

Referee: Glen Tonna

Stay updated with the latest news, match reports and fixtures from the GFA by subscribing to GFA Push notifications.