BOV GFA Cup Quarter finals 

Kercem Ajax Stadium – 19 December 2018


Sannat L FC : 1 (E.R. Okpokwu 30’)

Mercieca, S. Azzopardi (E. Gauci), M. Portelli (I. Mampalao), N. Micallef (S. Mizzi), F. Camilleri, J. Buttigieg, J. Zammit, E.R. Okpokwu, D. Borg, C. Mifsud, F.J. Xuereb.

Nadur Y  FC : 3 (M.J. Barbosa 20’, 69’; B. Said 45+7’)

Bugeja, L.B. Da Silva, T. Souza Da Silva, C. Abela (J. Portelli), D. Farrugia, M.J. Barbosa, D.M. Bustos, B. Said, M.P. Camilleri (I. Xuereb), J. Parnis, T. Portelli (J.O. Borg).


Nadur Youngsters obtained a 3-1 win over Sannat Lions in the last match from the quarter finals of the BOV GFA Cup and became the fourth semi-finalist in the competition.  Nadur held command of play over the second division side but found it very difficult to take a comfortable lead at an early stage of the encounter. Sannat managed to resist to Nadur’s superiority for long stretches and left the field oif play with a respectable score. Nadur suffered a setback on the half hour mark when Sannat scored an equalizer but Nadur took the lead for the second time in the match seconds before the break.  Nsadur put their minds at rest form the qualification with a third goal that arrived midway through the second half, so that play for the rest of the match took place mainly in the midfield.

The first serious attempt at goal of the match arrived on 12 minutes through a shot by Marcelo Barbosa that ended just wide from Sannat’s goal.  The same Barbosa had another dangerous strike on 16 minutes but Sannat’s keeper Courtney Mercieca was well placed and managed to save the danger.  Nadur opened the score on 20 minutes when Jordi Parnis headed to Marcelo Junior Barbosa who turned around a defender and placed in goal with a low shot towards the far post.  Four minutes later Nadur could have doubled the score but a low shot by Daniel Mateo Barbosa ended just wide.  The same Bustos had another attempt on 27 minutes that ended high and two minutes later Nadur protested for a penalty when Marcelo Barbosa ended on the floor in the area following a challenge with an opponent.  On 30 minutes Sannat surprised their opponents when won a corner following some pressure on Nadur’s defense and from the corner kick by Matthew Portelli, Ebube Ralph Okpokwu headed in goal.  Nadur went very close to regain the lead on 34 minutes but an attempt by Marcelo Barbosa was stopped by the crossbar.  The match was suspended for the following eight minutes due to power failure and on the restart Nadur regained territorial supremacy.  Nadur managed to regain the lead in the seventh minute of stoppage time when Daniel Mateo Bustos passed inside Sannat’s area to Brandon Said who fired in goal with a first timer.

Sannat went close to level the score for the second time on 48 minutes but a strike from outside the area by Charlton Mifsud ended just wide.  On 53 minutes Sannat’s goalie Courtney Mercieca was called to make a difficult intervention to turn to a corner an effort by Marcelo Barbosa and less than a minute later the same goalkeeper blocked a low shot by the same Barbosa was entered the area from the left flank.  In the following minutes Nadur continued to find it more difficult than expected to produce serious danger within Sannat’s territory and as a result Sannat threatened Nadur’s rearguard with counter breaks. The Youngsters however managed to take a two-goal lead on 69 minutes through a direct free kick by Marcelo Junior Barbosa that ended out of the reach of the goalkeeper Courtney Mercieca.  The match lost much of the interest and the best scoring opportunity during the last part of the encounter arrived on 82 minutes when Brandon Said concluded in goal from a good position but the goal was disallowed for an offside infringement.  

Referee: Paul Apap

Stay updated with the latest news, match reports and fixtures from the GFA by subscribing to GFA Push notifications.